Replacing System Drive Without Rebuilding System? RRS feed

• Question

• Right now, I'm running a plain old IDE drive as my system drive.

Having discovered that this drive is used by WHS as the "Landing Zone" when new files are copied to the pool, I'd like to replace it with a SATA drive that is faster and bigger.

Has anybody been successful with:

• Imaging both partitions of the existing drive
    • Partitioning the new drive exactly the same as the existing drive
    • Removing the existing (IDE) drive
    • Installing the new (SATA) drive
    • Applying those two images to the partitions on the new (SATA) drive
    • Telling BIOS to boot from the new drive

??

Logically, it seems like the only tripping point would be the IDE==>SATA part.

Or am I just wishing?

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:36 PM

All replies

• Just leave it alone. You aren't losing anything by having an IDE drive in the mix, and cloning your system drive, if not done meticulously, is pretty well guaranteed to result in the need for a server recovery or worse, a new installation followed by manual recovery from your old server storage disks...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Just leave it alone. You aren't losing anything by having an IDE drive in the mix, and cloning your system drive, if not done meticulously, is pretty well guaranteed to result in the need for a server recovery or worse, a new installation followed by manual recovery from your old server storage disks...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Point taken.

I'm not touching it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:59 PM
  • People have reported successfull cloning attempts only, if they cloned also the physical parameters of the disk (since the disk ID plays an important role).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:40 PM