Unable to install... RRS feed

• Question

• I've got my system all set up, 64 bit machine, 320GB HD, partitioned and formatted to NTFS; I start the install process and everything seems to be going fine but when it gets to the "expanding" part it consistently hangs, then quits with an error without ever getting over 0%. Any suggestions about what might be going on?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:23 AM

Answers

• I've got my system all set up, 64 bit machine, 320GB HD, partitioned and formatted to NTFS; I start the install process and everything seems to be going fine but when it gets to the "expanding" part it consistently hangs, then quits with an error without ever getting over 0%. Any suggestions about what might be going on?
    I was able to resolve this problem by re-burning the install dvd; the second one worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by taser8 Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:57 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:57 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem, try reducing the ram and see if that works it did for me.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:20 PM
  • What error?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:33 PM
  • I'm not at my system right now, but I think it's a pretty generic "unable to install" error. It does give me the option to view a log, which doesn't seem to have any info that I found useful, but might be informative...I'll post when I get home.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Cool, how exactly would I reduce the ram?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:57 PM
  • If you have a "bad" cfg.ini it will do this, if you are not using a cfg.ini, that's not the problem :)

You do not "pre-partition" the drive.  Install does that.

Perhaps burn a diff dvd/try a diff reader, or install from a 4gb thumb drive.

This is real hardware, not Virtual?

Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:02 PM
  • I just dropped a brand-new 320 gb sata hard drive into the machine, so I did an initial partition/format just to get it set up. There's nothing on the drive...don't know about the cfg.ini, what do I need to do with that? Thanks!

If you have a "bad" cfg.ini it will do this, if you are not using a cfg.ini, that's not the problem :)

You do not "pre-partition" the drive.  Install does that.

Perhaps burn a diff dvd/try a diff reader, or install from a 4gb thumb drive.

This is real hardware, not Virtual?

Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:26 PM
  • cfg.ini is in the release notes, but it is for an unattended install.  You do not need it.

You should get a screen in setup sayaing all data on your drives will be lost, agree, and click next.

What size partition(s) did you make ?  Use fdisk to remove them all and boot from the dvd and start over "again"

Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:23 PM
  • You may find more information by hitting Shift F10 to bring up a command prompt.

Then get the log from "X:\Windows\Panther"

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:51 AM
    I was able to resolve this problem by re-burning the install dvd; the second one worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by taser8 Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:57 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:57 PM