Slow opening Excel spreadsheets RRS feed

• Question

•  

First, I apologize if there is already a thread for this.  I haven't been on the board for a while, so I'm not current with what's been going on.  I did a search and also looked back several weeks for topic headings and didn't see anything, so here goes ...

I'm not sure when this started (before or after 2.0), but my spreadsheets which used to open almost instantaneously (2 seconds or less), now take anywhere from 30 seconds up to a minute to open.  I know that MLOC has its "paws" into excel because of some problems I've had (started a thread for it some months ago) with excel macros.  Anyway, today I got one of those "MS Live OneCare cannot continue" popup windows where it says that there's been a problem and I must restart my PC to get MLOC working again.  Well, before hitting restart, I decided to try to open some spreadsheets.  Guess what?!  They opened immediately!  Just like they used to before MLOC.  And, BTW, these are small, one or two-page spreadsheets.  So, this tells me that my suspicions were probably true - that the sluggish response when trying to open excel spreadsheets is due to some MLOC routine(s) that are hogtieing this functionality.  Any help or comments on this?  Thanks, scott.

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Scott.

First of all, I assume you resolved the error with OneCare by restarting, yes?

To try and isolate the cause of the slow loading of Excel workbooks, try disabling the OneCare firewall first and then enabling it and disabling the virus and spyware protection. Try opening a workbook with each of these disabled in turn.

What version of Excel is this? Do you have any macros loading in these workbooks? Do you have any add-ins loaded in Excel? In Excel 2007, the addins can be found under Advanced options when clicking on the office Orb in the upper left, then Excel options to the right, and finally the Advanced options tab. In older version of Excel, Add-ins are found from the Tools Menu.

If you start Excel from the Start Menu, without loading a workbook, does it load quickly? If you then use File/Open from within Excel, do you see the slow load?

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Hi guys.

I'm having the same problem as Scott. Just worse... IE opens dreadfully slowly (up to 47 seconds, timed) and Excel as well, Photoshop ditto... and more. The problem started after installation of OneCare, a couple of weeks ago. All MS progs are 2007 versions, photoshop is CS3 Extended. The problem is not only on one PC, but on all three on which I have installed OneCare. All three are Dells. CPUs are variant (Xeon, core2). OS is XP pro.

Previous to OneCare, PCs ran either Kaspersky Internet Security, or Zonealarm. With those, prog startup was not an issue.

I have disabled oneCare backup, reduced PC scans to once a week. No effect. PCs are set as home/work in OneCare.

Would appreciate your help.

Daevid

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Daevid,

Since you are seeing this on multiple PCs with OneCare, I recommend contacting support to determine if there is something you may have running on all of these PCs that is conflicting with OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:17 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Hi, Scott.

First of all, I assume you resolved the error with OneCare by restarting, yes?

To try and isolate the cause of the slow loading of Excel workbooks, try disabling the OneCare firewall first and then enabling it and disabling the virus and spyware protection. Try opening a workbook with each of these disabled in turn.

What version of Excel is this? Do you have any macros loading in these workbooks? Do you have any add-ins loaded in Excel? In Excel 2007, the addins can be found under Advanced options when clicking on the office Orb in the upper left, then Excel options to the right, and finally the Advanced options tab. In older version of Excel, Add-ins are found from the Tools Menu.

If you start Excel from the Start Menu, without loading a workbook, does it load quickly? If you then use File/Open from within Excel, do you see the slow load?

-steve

Steve,

Yes, OneCare restarted fine.

I've been busy lately and haven't had time to try to isolate the cause per your instructions.  I'll let you know when I get around to doing that.

To answer your other questions ...

- I'm using Office XP Standard Version 2002

- I don't have macros anymore.  In fact, I had a problem with my macros (which I used for doing backups) and I opened a thread for that.  Never did get a satisfactory solution to that problem so I removed the macros and just created some batch files to do the backups! 

- no add-ins that I know of (when I go to tools->add-ins, nothing is checked)

- I'll have to compare the different ways of starting excel and see if it makes a difference - get back to you on that one

Thanks for your reply.

Scott
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Do keep us posted on the results, Scott. As for macros, OneCare does enforce higher security for Office apps, and there's no way to get around that without unsigned macros, unfortunately.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 7:57 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Do keep us posted on the results, Scott. As for macros, OneCare does enforce higher security for Office apps, and there's no way to get around that without unsigned macros, unfortunately.

-steve

Concerning the macros - as I said, I did delete the Excel macros that I was using and went with the batch files instead.  However, whenever I open one of those spreadsheets that used to have a macro, it still gives me the warning about "Macros in this workbook are disabled ... blah blah".  Why do I still get the warning when the macros have been deleted?

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:02 PM
  • I don't know the answer to that, but when I've encountered that in the past, the solution is to create a new blank workbook and move/copy the sheets from the old one that had once had the macros to the new one. I'm assuming that the existence of macros in the workbook is a flag that doesn't get removed even after the macros are deleted.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

I don't know the answer to that, but when I've encountered that in the past, the solution is to create a new blank workbook and move/copy the sheets from the old one that had once had the macros to the new one. I'm assuming that the existence of macros in the workbook is a flag that doesn't get removed even after the macros are deleted.

-steve

The move/copy to the new blank workbook worked, as far as getting rid of the macro warning message is concerned.  BTW, the size of the new spreadsheet, in this particular case, is 1,030 KB, whereas the old spreadsheet is 1,060 KB, for whatever that's worth.  Must be more that just a flag that's hanging around after the macro deletion!

One other note to answer a previous question - when I start Excel from the Start menu, it starts instantaneously ... I mean even before I take my finger off the left mouse button.  However, when I open one of my existing spreadsheets (doesn't matter if it has macros or not), it takes between 30 seconds and one minute, with the average time being about 40 seconds.  What's going on for those 40 seconds?  Is this where OneCare is doing it's thing?  If so, it seems like very inefficient coding to me.

scott
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Try turning off the OneCare Virus and Spyware protection and then opening a workbook. (That was my suggestion back on Nov. 10th) Then try the same with the firewall off.

Is the experience with slow opening the same if you open the workbook by doubleclicking the workbook file in Windows Explorer compared to opening it from File/open in Excel?

If we can isolate it to a part of OneCare, we may be able to to determine a conflict or at least point the finger at OneCare pretty definitively. It may well be the scan that takes the extra time, but I don't see this delay - noticably, at least, on my machines.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

Try turning off the OneCare Virus and Spyware protection and then opening a workbook. (That was my suggestion back on Nov. 10th) Then try the same with the firewall off.

Is the experience with slow opening the same if you open the workbook by doubleclicking the workbook file in Windows Explorer compared to opening it from File/open in Excel?

If we can isolate it to a part of OneCare, we may be able to to determine a conflict or at least point the finger at OneCare pretty definitively. It may well be the scan that takes the extra time, but I don't see this delay - noticably, at least, on my machines.
    -steve

Well, I think we can take WLOC off the suspect list for "slow opening of spreadsheets" - the problem has been fixed.  I'm still not sure exactly what was causing it but, well, here's what happened ....

There's a computer tech column in the local paper here (Houston) every Tuesday.  I always read over the page, especially the Q&A section.  Someone had written in about a program to clean up old entries in the Windows Registry.  The column author suggested a freeware program that he rated as "very good".  It's been a while since I cleaned up my Registry, so I went to the site - downloaded, installed and ran the free "reg cleanup" program.  It found a bunch of dead links in various parts of my registry.  Apparently, one or more of those dead links had something to do with the problem of slow-opening Excel spreadsheets because the problem is gone!  I mean I have not had one more occurence of that problem since I ran that registry cleanup utility!  Needless to say, I'm now a happy camper. 

scott
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:19 AM
  • Thanks for updating the thread, Scott. I normally do not advise using a registry cleaner as more harm than good can often come of their use, but when something is badly broken, as it appears was the case on your PC, they can be helpful as long as they are used with caution.
    -steve
    Monday, December 29, 2008 1:50 PM
  • I also had the same problem but with all of Office 2007 programs and third party applications. After I installed One care, everything opened dreadfully slow. I followed Steves suggestions and turned of the firewall and virus scanning options and all programs opened instantly again. How can I get around turning off the firewall and virus scanner yet have my programs open faster?
    Wisln
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Wisln:
    By turning off the firewall and virus protection to eliminate the problem, you've confirmed that the problem is being caused by OneCare, but my suspicion is that the cause is a conflict with other software on the PC, most likely other security software. Anything that provides "real-time" protection is suspect as it can cause OneCare to conflict as both program fight for access to the file being launched and memory to insure that the files are clean and allowed.
    If you are unable to determine what that conflicting software is, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    -steve

Monday, January 5, 2009 4:27 PM