Outlook memory usage after installing CRM4.0 client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are experiencing some performance issues on the machines which we installed the CRM 4.0 Outlook client. If the users walk away from their machine for a longer period of time, upon their return the machine becomes almost non responsive. After a bit of investigation I found out that Outlook starts to use a lot of memory, I've seen it using 800 Mb on a machine with 1 GB of RAM. If the user waits for about 10 minutes the memory usage goes down to the level it should be - under 100 Mb. At the same time, if the user closes Outlook while is still using this huge amount of RAM, next time they open it they get a message saying that Outlook wasn't shut down properly the last time, although Outlook was closed properly (they don't use task manager to kill the process or close the program as unresponsive one). Some of them also get a prompt to disable the CRM add-in as it was causing problems last time it was used. I couldn't find the hardware requirements for the CRM client but I expected it to work OK on a machine with 1 GB of RAM. We are using Outlook 2003 SP3 on Windows XP SP2. Most of the machines have the online client installed and only a couple have the off-line one. The issue happens on both types of install. Any help would be appreciated

Regards,

Bruno

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:50 AM

All replies

•  

You may want to try to get the outlook 2007 sp1 Client to run with CRM 4.0.  We upgraded from Outlook2003.  My laptop has 2 gigs and crm usage at a high is at 1200mb processing and runs fine.  Desktop users are running at 700 mb processing with 512mb and 1G of memory.  One oddity is that most systems are fine but some hard drives just dont adjust and when we swap hardrives, the users outlook runs fine.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:03 PM
  •  

Thanks for the input, but I fail to see how your desktops with 512Mb and 1Gb of RAM are working OK when outlook with crm client eat 700Mb of the RAM ( 700 out of 512 ? ). Probably the users are very very patient as their machines must be way slow. Unfortunately in our environment we can't afford to lose all that time waiting for the machines to come back to live or to wait ages for another application to open as Outlook with the crm client are running some background processes. Would be nice to have the option to throttle their memory usage.

Regards,

Bruno

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:23 AM