My volume licensing product key for XP pro considered invalid on reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to reinstall Windows XP on a computer using my Volume Licensing key for my MSDN Subscription.  This computer originally had Windows XP Home edition on it.  I booted from my MSDN Windows XP Pro w/ Service Pack 2 DVD, deleted the C partition and recreated it, and reformatted (thorough) with NTFS.

In the computer where I am installing, I am on the “Preparing Installation” step of Windows XP Setup.  The title bar of the dialog asking me for the product key is “Windows XP Professional Setup”.  The screen is asking me for the 25-character product key that appears “on the yellow sticker….”.  I am entering the product key I found by following the steps below.

When I click on Next I get the error message “The CD Key you entered is not valid”.

Here is how I am getting my volume licensing key:

-          Going to https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp

-          Clicking Sign In.

-          Entering my username/pwd

-          Clicking on “View Volume License Keys” in the left-hand menu bar.

-          Clicking on “All Product Keys” in the menu bar at the top of the page.

-          Looking at the product key to the right of “Windows XP Professional” under the Product column in the table that comes up.

Note: the DVD is labeled "English / Disc 2428.8 / November 2005 / Part Number X13-67490" and includes "Windows XP Professional with SP2" in the contents of the disc listed at the top.

Am I misunderstanding something about how to use my MSDN Subscription?

Thanks,

David Cater

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:18 PM

Answers

• Note: I kept looking through my DVDs (which I neglected to do before), and I found another DVD labeled "Volume License Versions:", which includes WIndows XP Professional with SP2 as well.  That one is labeled "English/Disc 2430.2/January 2007".  It sounds like that might be the problem.  Will post with results later.

D.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:21 PM

All replies

• Note: I kept looking through my DVDs (which I neglected to do before), and I found another DVD labeled "Volume License Versions:", which includes WIndows XP Professional with SP2 as well.  That one is labeled "English/Disc 2430.2/January 2007".  It sounds like that might be the problem.  Will post with results later.

D.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:21 PM
  • At this point the Setup program is already on the hard disk, partially completed.  I am trying to boot from the different DVD, but setup keeps taking over.  It wants me to put in the original DVD I was using.  This means I can no longer get to the menu that would allow me to delete the partition and start over again.  This computer has no floppy drive, so I can't boot from there with a bootable floppy containing fdisk.  Can you boot from a USB drive?

At this point I am stuck.  Any suggestions?

David

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:26 PM
  • For some reason it let me boot from the volume licensing DVD after a couple of tries.  I have now been able to recreate the partition and start from scratch.  More results will follow...

D.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Much happier.  Using the volume licensing DVD solved my Product Key issue.  Hope this helps someone in the future!

David

Thursday, April 17, 2008 5:11 PM
  •  

David Cater,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum and we’re glad to hear that you are able to install your MSDN subscription of Windows XP Professional.

Should you have any further questions, please go to this website!

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948874.aspx

I hope this has helped!

Lori MS

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:05 PM