Server Backup failed - Not enough space RRS feed

• Question

• I finally installed WHS2011 and configured most parts.  However, when I tried to backup server, it kept failing.  I got error message "Not enough space".  I am sure I have enough space.  My backup HD is 2TB and I only have about 500GB data including client computer backup.  So I googled and someone suggest not to back up "system reserve" partition.  So I removed system reserve from my server backup, and i finally is able to create the first backup for the server...... 

Does anyone know why this happens?

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

• Edited by t-bond Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:34 AM

Answers

• Thank you everyone's comment!

VSC is disabled by default for the system partition...

So investigate further on my system partition...  for some reason, when I 1st create image file, I save it to system partition and that's why my system partition is full!!!!  I removed that image file and it is 70% free... I re-run backup and it works perfectly!!!

• Marked as answer by t-bond Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:27 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:27 PM

All replies

• When I include system reserve partition in the server back, I got error message in the event viewer:

The backup operation that started at '‎2012‎-‎01‎-‎06T05:55:42.133000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348249'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

The system reserved partition is 100MB and free space is less than 2MB.... 

I've other posts in Win 2008 server forum, people suggests to move system partition to "another" larger partition.....  

anyone has easier solution?

Thanks

Friday, January 6, 2012 6:33 AM
  • I don't know if this would work for you but I kept getting the same error message until I upgraded the system RAM from 2GB to 8GB. Not sure why but since then I've not had any problems with server backups.

Hope this helps

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:23 PM
  • @t-bond - the error message is telling you what the problem is. The Volume Shadow Copy service is trying to create files, but can't because there is not enough space on the partition. You do need to increase the size of that partition, or, alternatively, turn off the VSS for that partition.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Thank you everyone's comment!

VSC is disabled by default for the system partition...

So investigate further on my system partition...  for some reason, when I 1st create image file, I save it to system partition and that's why my system partition is full!!!!  I removed that image file and it is 70% free... I re-run backup and it works perfectly!!!

• Marked as answer by t-bond Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:27 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:27 PM