Windows won't activate RRS feed

• Question

• Background information:

I used to attend RIT as a CS major.  The CS department is partnered with Microsoft through Academic Alliance, and as a result we could download software for free.
    I downloaded a product key for Windows XP Pro:  completely legit, it's already paid for by the college.  I didn't need to use it at the time, so I left it for a bit.

I no longer go to RIT, so my accounts have been deleted (I can't log into the academic alliance website anymore). I just built a computer and when I installed the OS on my computer, I didn't activate it right away because I needed to get going on other things. I eventually forgot about it, and now I can't even log on without activating Windows. I thought it would be fine... I went to activate windows and it said the product key was invalid.

I made the rounds calling Microsoft, and they basically said they couldn't validate the key for me. Has anyone else run into this problem and maybe can tell me what to do?  I could understand if I pirated it, but it's legit, and I don't know why Microsoft can't help me.

Thanks -
    Monday, March 5, 2007 9:23 PM

Answers

• If you no longer attend the educational institution that subscribed to the Academic Alliance licensing agreement, then that particular software license is no longer valid for your own individual use.  It is only valid if you attend that particular educational instituition.  You'll need to purchase a conventional Windows XP retail license for your own personal use.
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:28 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2007 10:55 PM