Office not set up for this user after Windows XP reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a Gateway laptop away from home.  Today Windows XP suddenly crashed out & I had to reinstall (the cd could not fix exisiting windows).  Windows took my user name, but added Laptop to it.  Outlook will not open as it says not set up for this user to reinstall.  Unforunately I do not have my Office XP CDs with me, although I do have cd key number (I try to be prepared and have a list of all cd keys and normally have all cds in laptop case).

Is there anyway to get office, specifically outlook to work before going home in a month or having to buy a new copy?

TIA

(and I did look for the answer before asking:-)

Sunday, July 22, 2007 3:24 AM

Answers

• Sandi,

Definetly sounds like you are in a bind Sad.  There really isn't anything which can be done without having the actual Office Media in your possession. There are a couple options available. First I would contact someone back home who could mail Office XP to you. In turn I would send it with insurance and certified with return receipt requested. This will provide tracking as well as give you insurance should it become lost and/or damaged. The second option would be using Outlook Express which comes with XP. Unfortunately Express can't provide the full capabilities you would like but at least you could recieve email. TIA I wish there was another option which I could provide. 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:20 AM