LiveMesh remote desktop and multiple monitors RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm seeing weird behavior when I connect remotely to my machine with several monitors with LiveMesh. I use LogMein.com for this functionality but thought to try to replace with LiveMesh. In LogMein there is a switch button which switches you between monitors. Is there are a solution for this or what are the plans for better multi-monitor support.
    Also I noticed if I try to use LiveMesh desktop in full screen view it's not actually expanded to full screen but only up to taskbar so if I have the same resolution at remote device and local device then I'll end up either with scroll bars or squeezed image.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Lorry,

We are still working to improve the Live Mesh Remote Desktop experience with multi-monitor setups.

From our Know Issues sticky:

Issue: When you use Live Mesh Remote Desktop to connect to a dual-monitor system, the display is squished.

Workaround: Click Show desktop as actual size and your dual-monitor display should display correctly. This may not work if you have more than two monitors. This feature is still in development.

If you're seeing particularly strange behavior, please feel free to submit a bug report (instructions are in the Announcement at the top of the forums).

I hope that helps,

Ben.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:45 PM
  • I have two monitors at one location and two monitors at another.  I was wondering since live mesh shows both monitors in the window, if we could get support for expanding the remote desktop view to two monitors at the actual location.  Right now it only maximizes to one window and doesn't let me make it larger to expand onto a second window.  This way it would be like sitting right in front of my two monitor system.

Thanks,

John
    MuvEnum
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Hi Ben

Do you know how soon this feature will be added?

I have a 4 monitor setup at home (x64 Vista), and it would be great to get Mesh working remotely to the home pc.

Kind Regards
    Andrew
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I'm sorry, but I don't have a timeframe for improved multi-monitor support at this time.  It's something we're working on, though, and we'll definitely let people know when improvements have been made.

I wish I could be more help, but I just have to ask you to hang in there with us as we continue to improve Live Mesh.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:18 PM
  • I have a similar problem i have 2 monitors on my office pc and when i try to connect removely get a really stretched screen on the initial view, i can switch to actual size which is better, but the 2 displays have slightly different dimensions and i am getting some very strange mouse behaviour, ie not showing its true location so if i click in one place in has an effect slightly to the left and below where the mouse actually is.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:50 AM
  • I just wanted to support or add a vote to Renzskas's post.  It would be nice on my dual monitors at home to be able to livemesh into my work computer that has dual monitors and when I hit "Show desktop as actual size" it extends the desktops on to both of my dual monitors at home.  I know there are at least 5 others that have this kind of setup that I work with that would like this feature also.  Keep up the great work!!!!
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:07 PM
  • I would just like to echo N13's and Renzskas's posts;  I'm loving Live Mesh, and would love it even more with multi-monitor support.
    • Edited by jpopesku Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:11 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Bug report submitted via email. Mesh does not know how to handle the whitespace that occurs when monitors are not aligned and at the same resolution. Think Xx where the afore mentioned white space is the white area above the little x.
    Businesschild
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:32 AM
  • This used to work for me, I was able to see all 3 of my monitors which was sweet. After the last update to the client I lost that ability. I'm guessing it was taken out for a reason but will be huge if it can be put back in.

Mike
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:43 PM
  • I have a dual monitor desktop as well.  1 is 1680X1050 the other is 1280X1024.  I have also gotten the weird mouse behavior that some have described.  I got a work around for it.  You have to disable the live mesh curtain monitor, when you log in it makes this "monitor" your primary monitor.  I'm assuming so mesh's features work with that virtual monitor instead of effecting your original setup.  Like not displaying desktop images and other features.  I went in using the funky mouse and made my normal monitor my primary monitor and everything went back to normal.  Now my wallpaper is displayed which does slow things down initially but at least my mouse isn't like 4 inches off of where it is supposed to be.  I also said display my monitor full scale.  Shrinking it actually fixed the mouse problem but it was difficult to read but that helped me to get to the right display menus. 

There are scroll bars that i can scroll to my other monitor and up and down. 
    Friday, January 16, 2009 3:57 PM
  • I see the INF file that references the Curtain Driver but how did you disable it? It looks as if I just comment it out it will cause issues.

Thank you.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I gather from bsteimel's post that he went to the display properties on the remote machine from within the remote desktop session and changed the display - after he was connected and had the oddball behavior. I'm assuming that he would need to repeat this every time he established the connection.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:21 PM
  • I only have one monitor but every time I login to Live Mesh Remote Desktop, my system begins treating the live mesh mirror screen as a second monitor. This is weird and annoying behavior.

Live Mesh's main drawback is that the Remote Desktop feature is inside an ActiveX control which you can only install on machines that you have administrative privileges on. So no logging in from public computers you don't control. :( The way to get around this would be to support open web standards (something Microsoft is lagging behind the rest of the world on) which would enable access via a PortableApp.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:14 PM
  • As for the second monitor issue, have you updated the drivers for your video card?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:37 PM
  • I've only just started using Live Mesh, so forgive me if I'm being naive...

A work PC I use has a much better graphics card than the laptop I access it through.  It also uses dual monitor display.  

When I connect via Live Mesh the display appears squished.  

Following the instructions above to "show desktop as actual size" does work, but makes the desktop much larger than my laptop screen can handle, meaning that I have to scroll around the desktop to find and click things...

It also seems to leave a black space before the first monitor, so that there is a weird void to the left of the main desktop.  It is disconcerting, to say the least, to scroll around the desktop in search of a particular icon only to find blackness almost everywhere.  

Is there no way of seeing the whole desktop (at least the main screen of it) without it being either squished or enormous?

Friday, April 9, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Not at this point, jonwatson87. The experience is odd with dual monitors on the PC you are connecting to, especially when the local resolution is lower than that of the remote PC.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, April 9, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Ok!  Thanks Steve.  Just thought I'd check I wasn't missing anything!  

Ta very much for the quick response.  

What I've used so far of Live Mesh has been very good.  I look forward to future versions! =D

Friday, April 9, 2010 2:56 PM
  • You're very welcome - your timing was what made my reply quick, by posting just before my first walk through the forums this morning. ;-)

And I, too, look forward to whatever comes next.

-steve

Friday, April 9, 2010 4:19 PM