crm database disk partition move RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I need to move my CRM DB from C://  partition to my  D:// partition (c:// will explote soon) i want  to ask if these are the steps i should take for this:

1- Backup the dabatabase

2- Move the database from c :// to d:// using standar procedure with sql server managment studio(ie. deatach the DB, then move .dbf and .ldf files to d:// , finally reatach the DB from the new location)

3- Ready to go

Should i do something special with the CRM? like turn off the iss, make any trick with the "deployment manager" or something?

Cheers

Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hello.

I have done this procedure several times so I definitely can help you.

1. Stop your CRM website.

2. Stop Microsoft Asynchronous Service.

3. Open SQL Management studio, click with the right of mouse on DB and choose detach DataBase.

4. Copy MDF and Log files to other partition.

5. In SQL Management Studio click with right of mouse on databases and choose Attach.

6. In appeared dialogue choose MDF and Log files, and click ok.

7. Run Microsoft Asynchronous Service.

8. Run your CRM WebSite.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:30 PM
  •  

hi there,

By the way,  i need to pass al the data from the producion DB to my development DB, any suggetsions about how can this be done easily?

Cheers

In this case you can try to use following approach (I don't know will it work for you).

1. Make backup of your test DB.

2. Restore it on production server.

3. Using deployment manager attach it to existing deployment through import organization wizard.

If this approach would not work for your case the easiest way is to backup your test DB, restore on the same SQL server where production runs and using direct SQL queries - move data from one DB to other.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can check this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;952934&sd=rss&spid=12976

It has the procedure for SQL 2005 but it works for SQL 2008 as well.

Regards,

Amol

Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hello.

I have done this procedure several times so I definitely can help you.

1. Stop your CRM website.

2. Stop Microsoft Asynchronous Service.

3. Open SQL Management studio, click with the right of mouse on DB and choose detach DataBase.

4. Copy MDF and Log files to other partition.

5. In SQL Management Studio click with right of mouse on databases and choose Attach.

6. In appeared dialogue choose MDF and Log files, and click ok.

7. Run Microsoft Asynchronous Service.

8. Run your CRM WebSite.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:30 PM
  • yay! thanks
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:12 PM
  •  

hi there,

By the way,  i need to pass al the data from the producion DB to my development DB, any suggetsions about how can this be done easily? or can i make the CRM point another DB?

Cheers

Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:33 PM
  •  

hi there,

By the way,  i need to pass al the data from the producion DB to my development DB, any suggetsions about how can this be done easily?

Cheers

In this case you can try to use following approach (I don't know will it work for you).

1. Make backup of your test DB.

2. Restore it on production server.

3. Using deployment manager attach it to existing deployment through import organization wizard.

If this approach would not work for your case the easiest way is to backup your test DB, restore on the same SQL server where production runs and using direct SQL queries - move data from one DB to other.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:41 PM