none
Search for Multiple files listed in a CSV (not exact match) - Return a matched files and file location(s) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Powershell and I would like help creating a powershell script.

I have a list of part numbers (50,000) in .csv format.

From a root folder, I want to find all files that have the part number in it's file Name (ABC12345677*), I want to write the file Location(s) either back to the .csv or into another file.

Any help with this would be kindly appreciated.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Friday, March 9, 2018 7:44 PM This is not "scripts on demand"
    Monday, January 8, 2018 9:48 AM

All replies

• What have you tried so far?

I'll be happy to help you with your code, however not so much with writing it from scratch for you; no offense meant.

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:56 AM
  • So welcome to The Official Scripting Guys Forum.

You might read this first please: This forum is for scripting questions rather than script requests.

Also find scripts here: PowerShell Gallery or here: TechNet Gallery - resources for IT professionals.

Learn PowerShell: Microsoft Virtual Academy - Getting Started with Microsoft PowerShell.

Script requests: Microsoft Technet Script Center - Requests.

Good luck and Have a lot of fun!

Best regards,

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Monday, January 8, 2018 12:35 PM
  • $A=Get-ChildItemI:RootFolder\-recurse

Import-Csv

.\Rootfolder\Parts.csv|ForEach-Object{

$A

-match"$($_.PartNumber).*"|%{ $_.FullName } |echo>>".\RootFolder\FilePaths.csv"

}

Monday, January 8, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Your code is incomplete or broken. Please do not post colored code. It's almost unreadable. Use the code posting tool of the post editor instead.

Best regards,

Monday, January 8, 2018 3:24 PM
  • $A = Get-ChildItem RootFolder\ -recurse 

Import-Csv .\Rootfolder\Partlist.csv | ForEach-Object {

$A -match "$($_.Partnumber).*" | Select-Object -Property Name, FullName | Export-Csv -Append  -Path ".\RootFolder\Paths.csv" -Delimiter ";"

}

This is working. It will search the Root Folder for any matches to the the part numbers in "Partlist.csv" it Outputs the full Path and Part number to a seperate csv. It works on partical match and return multiple search results as required. I think I have successfully written my first working ppowershell script. If you have any suggestions or improvements please let me know.
    • Proposed as answer by TobyU Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:14 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:59 AM
  • This is working.

Great. I'm proud of you.  ;-)

If it does the job and you're satisfied with the result, don't change it - take the next challange! ;-)

Best regards,

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:12 AM