Phone call management service RRS feed

• General discussion

• I don't have the programming know-how or time to develop this, but I think it could be a Code2Fame winner for someone.

I got this idea when I received a telemarketing call at 6:00AM one day.  The only additional hardware requirement to the Home Server would be a Caller-ID modem.

1) This could be a "reduced" version of an enterprise phone system/MS Exchange Server connection.

2) Phone messages would be accessible from any Home Server accessible location (attached or VPN)  through an Exchange/Outlook front end.

3) Messages could be archived.

4) Messages could be filtered in many different ways (i.e. no off-shore area codes; only "White List" callers from 10:00PM to 7:00AM; "no Caller-ID" calls go directly to voice messaging).

5) More advanced functions could (in a few years) scan the voice messages for language content (like the words "College", "Loan" and "Consolidation" or if the call mentions some business keywords but not the name of the caller in the first 30 seconds), so they can be "appropriately" filed.

This may be something that Microsoft themselves would have to do (because of the Exchange/Outlook code), but I believe that this would make the Home Server a more practical (and marketable) device.

Telephone junk mail is as much a concern at home as Internet junk mail is at the office.

Doug Alvey

p.s. Now I've given this idea to everyone, so be good kiddies and share.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:45 PM

All replies

•  

I wonder if an ad on connected to GrandCentral.com would make sense? 

I did not think much of Grandcentral until I tried... sorta like whs... not really one of those things you think about until you start using it, then you realize what it can do to make your life easier...

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:22 PM