Unable to schedule a task for SyncToy2.0 to start AND run in XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a scheduled task to run SyncToy2.0, but it will not actually start the synchronization process.  If I leave the -R out of the "RUN" line, it will start the program.  However, if I put the -R there, it brings up a box entitled "Invalid Option" and says "The ability to execute folder pairs from the commandline (-R option) is now available from SyncToyCmd.exe."  When I point to synctoycmd.exe instead of the above referenced path, I simply get a CMD window with no prompt, as if it malfunctioned.  All I want to do is run SyncToy2.0 on this computer like I have run it on my last three computers.  I wish MS would still offer older versions of SyncToy because they worked great.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:40 PM

Answers

• OK, in the "Run:" box I put this line "C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R with a space before the hyphen but not after the R.  What this does is open up a CMD window once the task is supposed to run that stays blank for a while (i.e. no prompt).  The heading at the top of the window says C:\\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe.  Upon waiting for a little while, it looks as though it actually does run SyncToy, but it gives the report in this DOS window instead of actually opening the normal program.  I have to go check if all my files were indeed backed up, but in the mean time, does this sound like it's working correctly (because it's a little wierd).
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Did you try something that looks that looks like this?  Running through SyncToy.exe is no longer supported.
    C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Yes, that is the exact thing I did that resulted in a CMD window with no prompt.  It's ashame that MS does not offer V1.4, which worked well.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hi -

Can you paste exactly what you put into the task scheduler?

Thnks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:50 PM
  • OK, in the "Run:" box I put this line "C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R with a space before the hyphen but not after the R.  What this does is open up a CMD window once the task is supposed to run that stays blank for a while (i.e. no prompt).  The heading at the top of the window says C:\\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe.  Upon waiting for a little while, it looks as though it actually does run SyncToy, but it gives the report in this DOS window instead of actually opening the normal program.  I have to go check if all my files were indeed backed up, but in the mean time, does this sound like it's working correctly (because it's a little wierd).
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:56 PM
  • It looks as though it did sync all my files, so I guess it's working fine.  One strange thing, however, is that it does not update the "Last run at: ..." line at the bottom right of the main window when you run the normal application.  I wonder why MS decided to go this route instead of leaving it the way it was?

Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:07 PM