none
Database Migrations With Sync Framework RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application set up with Sync Framework which syncs client tablets to an Azure database.  Everything works fine.  The application was designed using Entity Framework 5.0 Code First and the db is SQL 2012 Express Localdb.  I want to enable automatic Migrations which is an Entity Framework method to update the database for things like adding a new table or column to a table.  My question has to do with the sequence of operations.  I assume I will have to deprovision and reprovison the db to get the changes recognized by Sync Framework.  What then happens to the data that has not yet been sent to Azure?  It would no longer show as changed.  Perhaps I must first sync with Azure and then do the changes???  We have multiple clients so coordinating such an update could be a nightmare.  Has anyone tried making db changes with synchronization outside of development?  Any help would be appreciated.

Donald Hofferber

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:23 PM

All replies

• This is how I do this..

sync all clients, modify server tables, deprovision/provision, update clients software/db structure, full sync each client

I have to coordinate it, luckily I only have 9 computers and 3 users... its not so hard for me

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:57 PM
  • I was hoping that there would be an easier solution.  Our clients are all over the place in differenet time zones.  It almost seems easier to go back to looping through tables and do the sync in code.

Donald Hofferber

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:08 PM