Activation changed it's mind RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to get a computer up and running. but Microsoft is not on my side this time.

It's a tower desktop, came with XP pro and a hidden restore partition. I did a full factory restore, booted up, and Windows asked for me to activate. At this point, I was unable to get to the desktop, but rather got stopped at the login screen. (Even though there's only one user account.) Due to not being able to install the drivers, activating over the internet was not an option. On the phone, I was told that the activation ID was invalid. When I was told to look at / change the product key, I noticed that it was different from what was on the sticker on the tower. I was asked to change the key to what was on the tower, did so, got a new activation ID, and everything was happy.

Now, today, just one reboot later, I am asked to activate Windows. Activation over internet still doesn't work even though I now have a connection. Activation by phone doesn't work, for some reason now my activation ID is bad. The key is still the same... Nothing has changed but Windows deciding to not be activated anymore.

?? I'm at a total loss.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:14 PM

Answers

• I was able to solve the problem; essentially by just letting auto update do its thing. Re-ran activation over the internet and it all worked well.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:54 PM

All replies

• In order for us to analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the   Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.

After running the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button, then Paste the report into your post.  Also, please include a brief question or pertinent background information that would be helpful in our endeavor to assist you.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:43 PM
  • I was able to solve the problem; essentially by just letting auto update do its thing. Re-ran activation over the internet and it all worked well.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:54 PM
  • "alex_MEI" wrote in message news:057bb4a7-bc37-4f07-ba47-ab3420f59ba2...
    I was able to solve the problem; essentially by just letting auto update do its thing. Re-ran activation over the internet and it all worked well.
    the
    Please post an MGADiag report anyhow – then we can go to sleep happy :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:39 PM
  • That would not be necessary as the issue is now resolved to the satisfaction of the poster.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:45 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:34389354-65ac-4951-a05a-85898bb604e5...
    That would not be necessary as the issue is now resolved to the satisfaction of the poster.
    Carey Frisch

Necessary, no – but it would make certain that the issue is properly resolved, rather than just hiding.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:58 AM
  • While not necessary, the Customer Friendly thing to do is to offer to look at the most recent Diag and confirm the issue is, in fact, resolved.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:29 PM