WHS 2011 license use as a client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an unused spare Windows Home Server 2011 license.

Can I use Windows Home Server 2011 like a normal/standard/simple/usual/regular/ordinary/common Windows Client?

To which client edition (Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate) would it correspond?

Will I miss any feature compared to a client version?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:55 AM

Answers

• Not ideal, but you can. I am not sure that you will be able to back it up to another WHS2011 server - almost certainly not. Somewhere around Home Premium?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Disk Management gives you the option of converting a HDD to a "Dynamic Disk" - no idea if this works. No "XP Mode" built in.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:07 PM

All replies

• Not ideal, but you can. I am not sure that you will be able to back it up to another WHS2011 server - almost certainly not. Somewhere around Home Premium?

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Not ideal, but you can. I am not sure that you will be able to back it up to another WHS2011 server - almost certainly not...

If this is the only penalty, I can live with it, as I don't have another WHS2011.

... Somewhere around Home Premium?

So no Dynamic disks/volumes (Logical Disk Manager) and no Windows XP Mode?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Disk Management gives you the option of converting a HDD to a "Dynamic Disk" - no idea if this works. No "XP Mode" built in.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:07 PM