none
Why is forum navigation so weird? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm not particularly impressed with the forum navigation.

An example:
    If I want to navigate to another page (say, going from page 1 to page 2), this is what's happening:

1. The moment I click on the page no. I'm immediately taken to the top of the current page (um... why???)
    2. Then a long delay (5-10 secs.) without ANY indication of activity.
    3. Now page 2 shows up (Hooray!)
    4. In 50% of the cases the list of threads then suddenly changes back to that of page 1!!! (the page indicator at the top still shows I'm on page 2, but the list of threads is suddenly changed to those of page 1 after a brief (1-2 secs.) display of the list on page 2).
    ___

While I'm at it, a note about the right column (my personal opinion):

"Browse by Tag"
    Honestly, how many of you are using it? (not counting the first "I wonder what this is" click). Is it one of those "We need one because everybody else has one" features? Right now the words "bugs" and "submit" are emphasized in the box. So I'm supposed to click those because I want to look at all the threads with... um... "bugs" or "submit" in them...?
    Category: Useless

"Statistics"
    I don't know what I'm supposed to use it for? "Total threads: 363"... wheee!...
    Category: Useless but harmless

"Top Answers"
    Useful I guess, although someone claimed that the subjects in it never change. Maybe a reassesment of the algorithm that promotes threads to this list is needed?
    Category: Useful if it works

"Top MS Answeres / Top MVP Answerers / Recent Moderators etc. etc."
    OK, the "Statistics" box above actually seems useful compared to THIS one. Can someone explain what the normal user is supposed to use it for? What useful information does it provide? And the constant refresh is extremely irritating.
    Category: Useless AND annoying

/MrMox

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:59 AM

Answers

• (Do you want me to move this to the Suggestions and Feedback forum? :) )

I'll take a stab at why they have the Top Answerers section there.

It's to encourage people to post (good) replies; so that someone marks them as Answers; so that the poster gets his name in lights.

In my opinion if that's the reason, they certainly don't need to have it refreshing all the time. They also have done themselves no favors by going from the previous forum software's listing of more names (not icons) in the equivalent (non-refreshing) box with the number of answers listed alongside.

Then there was some sort of incentive to post more if you wanted to move your name up the list ("only another two answers and I've passed Fred") whereas now for all you know Fred has posted so much that he has 100 more "Answers" than you and you are wasting your time.

As for the rest. Yeah, I don't use Browse by tag either and the Statistics box leaves me cold.

(and while the first oddity - going to page 2 and then jumping back to 1 - does occur occasionally with me I doubt very much if it's anywhere near 50% of the time. If it was that often I'd have given up looking at more than page 1 long ago).
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:44 AM

All replies

• (Do you want me to move this to the Suggestions and Feedback forum? :) )

I'll take a stab at why they have the Top Answerers section there.

It's to encourage people to post (good) replies; so that someone marks them as Answers; so that the poster gets his name in lights.

In my opinion if that's the reason, they certainly don't need to have it refreshing all the time. They also have done themselves no favors by going from the previous forum software's listing of more names (not icons) in the equivalent (non-refreshing) box with the number of answers listed alongside.

Then there was some sort of incentive to post more if you wanted to move your name up the list ("only another two answers and I've passed Fred") whereas now for all you know Fred has posted so much that he has 100 more "Answers" than you and you are wasting your time.

As for the rest. Yeah, I don't use Browse by tag either and the Statistics box leaves me cold.

(and while the first oddity - going to page 2 and then jumping back to 1 - does occur occasionally with me I doubt very much if it's anywhere near 50% of the time. If it was that often I'd have given up looking at more than page 1 long ago).
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Yeah, sorry for posting both a bug and a feedback in the same post :)

Let's just leave it here. I prefer to have the page issue resolved as fast as possible (in my case it does happen in 50% of the cases, which means that I rarely go beyond page 1).

/MrMox
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:17 PM