Problem with external USB hard drive on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have recently purchased a computer with WHS installed but have been experiencing some problems over the past couple of weeks.

The computer has a single internal 250GB hard drive installed; in that configuration (with only that storage disk installed), the computer works flawlessly.  However, when I add an external via USB, I encounter some serious issues.

After initially adding a 500GB external, there are no problems.  The drive is added to the available pool of storage and folder duplication for my shared folders works fine.  However, always after the first night of having the drive added, the next morning I am given errors via home connector saying that the external hard drive is missing and no backups have been performed (in addition to reports of file conflicts).  Physically, the external hard drive appears to be powered up and connected properly.  To resolve the situation, I have to toggle the power button on the external drive and it is now recognized by the WHS, appearing to correct the problem.  However, about 6 hours later the external goes missing again and the external's power must be toggled to fix it.  Hereafter, in decreasing intervals of time (ie. 3 hours, 1 hour, etc.), the hard drive goes "missing" in WHS again, to the point where it is constantly missing even after toggling the power on the drive.  At this point I just simply have to forcibly remove the external drive from the storage pool and then the WHS goes back to working normally with just the single internal drive. 

This same sequence of events has happend with two separate external drives so I know that the drives are not a problem.  I am just at a loss right now and have no idea what to do.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.        
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

I have recently purchased a computer with WHS installed but have been experiencing some problems over the past couple of weeks.

The computer has a single internal 250GB hard drive installed; in that configuration (with only that storage disk installed), the computer works flawlessly.  However, when I add an external via USB, I encounter some serious issues.

After initially adding a 500GB external, there are no problems.  The drive is added to the available pool of storage and folder duplication for my shared folders works fine.  However, always after the first night of having the drive added, the next morning I am given errors via home connector saying that the external hard drive is missing and no backups have been performed (in addition to reports of file conflicts).  Physically, the external hard drive appears to be powered up and connected properly.  To resolve the situation, I have to toggle the power button on the external drive and it is now recognized by the WHS, appearing to correct the problem.  However, about 6 hours later the external goes missing again and the external's power must be toggled to fix it.  Hereafter, in decreasing intervals of time (ie. 3 hours, 1 hour, etc.), the hard drive goes "missing" in WHS again, to the point where it is constantly missing even after toggling the power on the drive.  At this point I just simply have to forcibly remove the external drive from the storage pool and then the WHS goes back to working normally with just the single internal drive. 

This same sequence of events has happend with two separate external drives so I know that the drives are not a problem.  I am just at a loss right now and have no idea what to do.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.        

Since you said you purchased the computer with Windows Home Server installed, I would contact the OEM (manufacturer) from whom you bought the Windows Home Server.

You may either need to update the drivers for the system or there may be a hardware problem (USB ports). Since you bought the system with Windows Home Server preinstalled, it should come with support from the OEM. 

Also, are you using the same USB port for all these drives or have you tried a different port?

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:32 AM