WHS doesn't recognise partitions RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully 'added' WHS to an existing WinXP PC and can dual boot into either OS. WHS in on a new disc and there is a 3rd disk used for folder duplication. The original (XP) disk has a 'system' partition and a 'data' partition. This disk shows as a Non Storage Hard Drive (total capacity is shown) and I intended to use the 'data' partition for file backup. However, 2 steps into setting this up, WHS then only sees the 1st partition which is not what I require. Any answer to this?
    Another 'quirk' - when about to add the 3rd disk as Server Storage, this disk and the XP disk showed as identical Non Storage Hard Drives. They are identical (make & model) but there is nothing shown to designate which disk is which!! I took the XP disk out while the 3rd disk was formatted as I didn't want to rely on the order the disks were listed to be sure which was which. Some more info (drive letter?) is needed here to cover this situation?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:18 AM

Answers

• ... My question remains the same:- there seems to be no option to use other than the 1st partition of another hard drive for the purposes of file backup - I haven't seen this restriction mentioned on any documentation (the separate partitions are shown in Windows Explorer).
    This is correct. There is no provision for using the second, third etc. partitions on a drive because the user requirement for server backup is really to allow taking a copy of your shares off-site, not to allow an additional backup of the shares, stored on the same hardware.
    The other 'quirk' that I mentioned is valid. If there are two Non Storage Hard Drives (identical model & size) shown on the Server Console Server Storage page, the entries shown are identical - you can't tell which is which - awkward since you might end up formatting a drive with data on it (which you wanted to keep)!  
    As for this, Windows Home Server is not designed for use in a multi-boot configuration. By design, it will have complete control of all hardware in or directly connected to the computer it's installed on. In this environment, not being able to determine which drive is which is really not a problem. Where it does become a problem is on drive removal. OEM servers have (are required to have) drive lights which identify the drive just removed from the pool, but a "system builder" (i.e. home-built) server won't. As a result you may need to experiment, removing a drive and seeing if it was the right one or not. There's an add-in, Disk Management, that lets you build a wireframe representation of your server and identify drives more accurately, in this case.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:57 PM

All replies

• I have successfully 'added' WHS to an existing WinXP PC and can dual boot into either OS. WHS in on a new disc and there is a 3rd disk used for folder duplication. The original (XP) disk has a 'system' partition and a 'data' partition. This disk shows as a Non Storage Hard Drive (total capacity is shown) and I intended to use the 'data' partition for file backup. However, 2 steps into setting this up, WHS then only sees the 1st partition which is not what I require. Any answer to this?
    Another 'quirk' - when about to add the 3rd disk as Server Storage, this disk and the XP disk showed as identical Non Storage Hard Drives. They are identical (make & model) but there is nothing shown to designate which disk is which!! I took the XP disk out while the 3rd disk was formatted as I didn't want to rely on the order the disks were listed to be sure which was which. Some more info (drive letter?) is needed here to cover this situation?
    Everything you are trying to accomplish (including dual booting with WHS) is unsupported (mostly for the reasons you are now discovering).  You should set up a different box for your server and let it do its job as it's designed.  The alternative (also unsupported, but at least doable, depending on exactly how much you intend to use WHS) would be to set up WHS as a VM inside your XP installation.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Thanks for the response kariya21. Unfortunately the dual boot aspect is a bit of a red herring - perhaps I misled you? WHS was a clean install on its own disk, while no other disk was present. I chose to add dual boot (on the XP disk) later, to allow me to quickly go back to my original setup and continue work (software development) until I had proved that WHS would suit my future needs. In order to eliminate any question of unsupported aspects I have now set the WHS disk as primary, therefore no dual boot control, and the PC boots up into WHS. In the Server Console it sees two other disks, one of which is designated as a Storage Hard Drive, and the other is presently Non Storage with Capacity shown as the full disk size. My question remains the same:- there seems to be no option to use other than the 1st partition of another hard drive for the purposes of file backup - I haven't seen this restriction mentioned on any documentation (the separate partitions are shown in Windows Explorer).
    The other 'quirk' that I mentioned is valid. If there are two Non Storage Hard Drives (identical model & size) shown on the Server Console Server Storage page, the entries shown are identical - you can't tell which is which - awkward since you might end up formatting a drive with data on it (which you wanted to keep)!  
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:42 PM
  • ... My question remains the same:- there seems to be no option to use other than the 1st partition of another hard drive for the purposes of file backup - I haven't seen this restriction mentioned on any documentation (the separate partitions are shown in Windows Explorer).
    This is correct. There is no provision for using the second, third etc. partitions on a drive because the user requirement for server backup is really to allow taking a copy of your shares off-site, not to allow an additional backup of the shares, stored on the same hardware.
    As for this, Windows Home Server is not designed for use in a multi-boot configuration. By design, it will have complete control of all hardware in or directly connected to the computer it's installed on. In this environment, not being able to determine which drive is which is really not a problem. Where it does become a problem is on drive removal. OEM servers have (are required to have) drive lights which identify the drive just removed from the pool, but a "system builder" (i.e. home-built) server won't. As a result you may need to experiment, removing a drive and seeing if it was the right one or not. There's an add-in, Disk Management, that lets you build a wireframe representation of your server and identify drives more accurately, in this case.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Thanks Ken Warren for your definitive answer to my question.

With regard to not being able to see which disk was which, you may note that I did in fact do more or less as you have suggested, that is temporarily removed the disk that I wanted to 'protect'. Incidently my original dual boot configuration in no way compromised WHS having complete control of hardware. WHS is in fact fulfilling all my requirements and is running sweetly in every aspect so far. 

Thanks again.   
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:14 PM