Help! PC crashed immediately after installation of One Care Free Trial Version. What now? RRS feed

• Question

• Help! My PC crashed immediately after I downloaded One Care and rebooted to complete the installation. Upon reboot I received a blue screen with error stating that Windows was shut down to avoid damage. I am unable to boot into safe mode as I get the same blue screen and message.

I use Windows XP. I had to remove Norton and turn off Windows Defender in order to finish the download of One Care.

I have no idea how to proceed from here.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:09 AM

Answers

• On the startup options screen try "Last known good configuration" . If you are able to boot into Windows download and run the Norton removal tool - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039  It is likely your Norton product did not uninstall correctly and this conflict with One Care is causing the stop error. If this does not resolve the issue or if you are unable to start Windows send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you reach support.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:19 AM