none
win 7 64 bit synctoy doesn't find everything RRS feed

• Question

• win 7 64 bit. synctoy doesn't sync everything. In particular it misses my email folders under thunderbird in users/myaccount/appdata/roaming/thunderbird when I try to sync users/myaccoung to user/myaccount.

But if I sync the thunderbird account directly it works.

It seems to not want to go more than a couple directories down when syncing.

Is there a solution to this?

thanks

John

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The "users/myaccount/appdata/roaming" folder is not a real path, but a folder mapped to another place. SyncToy can work if such folders themselves (or one of their subfolders) are sync folders (that is why the thunderbird account works). However, if such folders are sub-folders of a sync folder SyncToy will ignore them.

The current work around is creating new folder pairs for each of such folders if necessary.

We had recorded the issue with such mapped folders, and will try if we can give some fix or find a better solution. Sorry for the inconvenients.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:33 AM
  • I'm not familiar with mapped folders and sync folders. I wanted to just sync the entire users folder. Is there any way to know what folders aren't going to get included other than checking them all?Also, if I was going to put the thunderbird folder somewhere else, how high up in users/myaccount would I have to go? Or do I have to just stick everything directly under c:?

I can envision having a folder "Special Stuff" with all the folders I need synced regularly. Is that what people do?

I've had terrible luck with win 7 backup so I clone my disk and keep data up to date with synctoy. Then re-clone if a lot of programs get updated. Seems to work easily.

John

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:14 PM
  • I tried to find a list of such "mapped" folders, but not succeeded yet. Such folders have been introduced to help protecting privacy and system files since Windows Vista.

It will not work to put thunderbird folder to somewhere else, because Outlook or other applications does not know the new place, they will still work with and update the previous place.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Well... that's just dandy. It feels sooooo...  Microsoft.

John

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:10 AM
  • It will not work to put thunderbird folder to somewhere else, because Outlook or other applications does not know the new place, they will still work with and update the previous place.

Actually that's not correct. It's pretty easy to move a Thunderbird profile, it's described here:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#move

Basically you have to shut down Thunderbird, physically move your profile folder and then edit the "profile.ini" file of Thunderbird to point to the new location. When you start Thunderbird the next time, it'll pick up the new location automatically (unless you've done something wrong). You can use this to move all your e-mails, adress book data etc. out of your user profile folder to a different place, e.g. a separate hard disk or partition (that's usually what I do for clarity and separation), and then backing up the folder is not a problem with Sync Toy. Note: you should still make a (manual) backup of all your Thunderbird files first before you move your profile, just in case something goes wrong.

Moving Outlook profiles is also possible but might be more complicated, depending on the infrastructure and version of Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:29 PM