Cannot open zip files (microsoft onecare backup) RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot open the zip files that microsoft onecare saved to a cd from a backup.

I've had continuous problems backing up my files using one care. Unfortunately a trogan knocked out my wifi capabillities on my computer.  When a computer guy could not fix I attempted several backups on cd's so that I can save my info before running the recovery software to return my computer system to factory standards.  Unfortunately this did not bring back my wifi.  I have purchased a new laptop and have been attempting to transfer the backup files from the cd to the new laptop.  Unfortunately only one cd actually saved files but it compressed it into zip files.  I cannot open these files.  What do I do?  I absolutely prefer not to put onecare into my new laptop because it obviously did not work for the other laptop.  What are my options?

Also, is all data lost forever after the recovery software is performed...or is it possible to get a computer geek to pull it off my hard drive???
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, there are two options:

1. Install OneCare on the laptop and disable virus and spyware protection and the firewall to avoid conflicting with whatever security software you are currently using and run the restore wizard to recover the backed up data. Once the data has been restored, uninstall Onecare and run the cleanup tool -  

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

2. Use a 3rd party compression program such as WinZip (www.winzip.com - free trial available) to extract the backed up data manually. Then use this program:  

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ (free)

to re-join any large files that the OneCare backup process split between more than one .zip file.

I'll note that I'm not aware of any malware that would kill the WiFi adapter at the hardware level. If you used the OEM recovery discs to restore to factory condition and the WiFi adpater was not seen or would not work, that would indicate a hardware problem with the PC.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:03 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, there are two options:

1. Install OneCare on the laptop and disable virus and spyware protection and the firewall to avoid conflicting with whatever security software you are currently using and run the restore wizard to recover the backed up data. Once the data has been restored, uninstall Onecare and run the cleanup tool -  

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

2. Use a 3rd party compression program such as WinZip (www.winzip.com - free trial available) to extract the backed up data manually. Then use this program:  

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ (free)

to re-join any large files that the OneCare backup process split between more than one .zip file.

I'll note that I'm not aware of any malware that would kill the WiFi adapter at the hardware level. If you used the OEM recovery discs to restore to factory condition and the WiFi adpater was not seen or would not work, that would indicate a hardware problem with the PC.

-steve

Friday, January 16, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I missed your last question...
    Once you use the OEM recovery disc, the data that was on the drive before using it is pretty well lost. It *is* possible to recover some of the data, but that can be prohibitively expensive, running into the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, for the recovery process. it becomes more difficult over time as the drive is written to with new data.
    -steve
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:05 PM