HP MediaSmart Server recovery - how do I do it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 
    I have an older HP MediaSmart Server either a EX485 / EX 487

It has recently developed a problem.
    First of all it cannot be located using the windows homeserver connector..when I do a hard restart.  The health light blinks red and blue 5 times then blinks blue (on and off) The hard drive lights do not come on.

Also once in a while the machine simply shuts down and then trys to reboot and repeats the process above.

Could one of you "old hands" suggest to me what I need to do to solve the issue?

Thanks

BWSF

Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:34 PM

All replies

• The manuals tell you how to perform basic troubleshooting. They also tell you how to navigate the server recovery process if that turns out to be the recommended approach. Please consult them (last I checked they were still available for download from the HP support site), follow directions, and let us know if something not covered there comes up.

I will warn you, however, that almost any hardware issue other than a failed hard drive is likely to mean your server is finished, as HP hasn't supported these servers for some years. In this case, consult the FAQ section here where you'll find some posts about recovering data from a server that has failed and can't be recovered.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, June 1, 2013 10:15 PM