CRM 2011 upgrade - best way to roll out remote client updates? RRS feed

• Question

• As we plan our CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011 upgrade (on premise) we are trying to find the best way to update the 150 Tablet PCs of our field sales people. The sales people are all over the USA, working out of small offices which have connections back to corporate. They currently run the CRM 4.0 Outlook Client with Off-line Access and Office 2007. Where we want to get to is Office 2010 and the CRM 2011 Outlook client with Offline Access. I have 2 main concerns - will the upgrade of the CRM Outlook Client with Offline Access (which I think will also update SQL Express and SQL Report Viewer) cause a rebuild/reload of the data stored on the client (it can take 2 hours to do a first time "go offline" if you are in a remote office!) and what tools are the best to use for pushing out those Office & CRM updates? Any other thoughts about minimizing sales peoples downtime during an upgrade are welcome!

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hello, you can use systems management software such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager to remotely install CRM 2011 for Outlook with Offline Access for your sales users. You can use CRM 4.0 for Outlook to connect to a CRM 2011 server as long as UR7+ is installed on the client, but offline access isn't supported until CRM 2011 for Outlook is installed.

I'd recommend that you rehearse the upgrade process several times and then schedule a weekend where sales people all leave their tablet PCs in their office connected to the corporate network. If you have a public holiday coming up on a Monday or Friday, that might buy you an extra day. There are always going to be a couple of users for whom the upgrade didn't work, so get ready to perform some emergency troubleshooting on Monday morning.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, October 7, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Thanks for your advice Neil. I'd be interested to hear from someone who has used SCCM (or GPO) to push out Office 2010 and the CRM 2011 Outlook client to 100+ laptops, especially to remote offices. What problems were there? Would you do it the same way again? Tips & Tricks?
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:47 PM