Reinstalling the retail Windows and Office on a different computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have purchased the laptop computer with Windows XP Home preinstalled.

Additionally, I have purchased the retail Windows XP Pro (non-upgrade) and Office XP Pro.

I have wiped out laptop's hard drive and installed the XP Pro and Office, and activated both of them.

Now I am considering taking back the laptop to the store, because I'm not happy with the hardware itself.

I am planning to use the CDs that came with the laptop to restore the factory hard drive image, this will effectively delete the XP Pro and Office from the laptop.

How can I make sure that the when I buy a different model of laptop I'll be able to install my purchased copies of XP Pro and Office?

Is there any "de-activation" procedure that I should take when I prepare the laptop for returning to the store?

TK

Friday, June 16, 2006 6:20 PM

Answers

• There is no "deactivation" procedure.  All you need to do is install your software on your new computer and activate it.  If activation via the internet fails, then select the alternative activation option to "activate by phone" to obtain a new activation code "free of charge"

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us
    Friday, June 16, 2006 8:44 PM