none
Client PCs can no longer connect to console. How to preserve existing backups and/or restore connectivity? RRS feed

• Question

• I am no longer able to connect to my WHS Console from any of my client PCs. The taskbar on each client PCs shows a gray icon (instead of green, yellow or red). As a result, backups no longer run. When I try to run discovery.exe, it gets to the step where it asks for the password, but then WHS Connector fails ("This operation cannot be completed at this time...").

I can ping the server and I can access the WHS shared folders from my client PCs, so it is purely an issue of connecting to the WHS Console.

I tried to access http://my_whs_server_ip:55000 so that I can reinstall the connector, but the website is not accessible.

Looking at netstat -a -n shows that no service is listening on ports 55000, 56000, 4125, 80, or 443. This is something listening on 3389. (I don't what which port is relevant for the WHS Console so I listed the above six).

In my event viewer there is a weird error: Event ID 36870, Source: Schannel, Description: A fatal error occurred while attempting to access the SSL server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic modules is 0x80090016.

I suspect the symptoms above are so complex that the answer will be: "You need to reinstall the server".  However, if you have suggestions that will allow me to avoid reinstall, I would appreciate them.

Most importantly, I have some archived historical backups on my WHS which I really don't want to lose.

Frustratingly, I can see the backups from the WHS Console on the server, but I cannot access them.  When I try, I get the error: "You must open a backup from the WHS Console running on a home computer"). As a result, I cannot copy the archived backups off the server before doing a reinstall.

If I have to do a server reinstall, what can I do to ensure that I do not lose the archived historical backups sitting on my WHS?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:33 PM

All replies

• You can never ensure, that you won't loose backups, especially if you didn't backup them. The backup database is not made for redundancy and a damaged sector in the wrong position or a power loss during write operation may corrupt the entire backup.

Do time, time zone and date (including year) on the server still match?

Did you install or update a security suite on each client, which may now intercept the communication?

Can you load the site directly on the server desktop via http://yourservername:55000/ ?

Btw.: accessing the website via IP will not work well as soon as SSL comes in, since certificates are issued for a name.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, June 3, 2011 12:29 PM
  • I have tried http://127.0.0.1:55000 from the server desktop and it does not work.  I did not install any new software or add ons for several months.  I have never installed a SSL certificate on my WHS.

I think the best solution at this point is a server reinstall.

Before doing a server reinstall, I want to backup the entire backup database (all metadata and clusters for all existing client backups).  It is sufficient to copy the entire D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} as outlined in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

if I remember correctly, there are also some registry entries needed, especially if a reinstall fails and you would have to perform a fresh install.

This is covered by the WHS DB Backup Add-In.

As soon as you have enabled Remote Access, you will receive a SSL certificate on your server.

One unsupported way to fix IIS: you could try to uninstall Power Pack 3 for Windows Home Server through control panel, reboot and install it again.

This could eventually revert the IIS configuration to the stage before it stopped functioning.

Do you see any errors or warnings in the Event Viewer on the server around IIS or DCOM?

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Sunday, June 5, 2011 6:41 AM