Max Size of RAID volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

MBR only supports a 2TB volume, but is that 2000GB or 2048GB?   Also, since the system volume is 20GB, is that included or excluded in the total?

What I am trying to determine is when creating a single volume via RAID what is the maximum number of GB can I use in the array?  1998,2000,2020,2048 or 2068?

Last question.  I am working very hard to make sure DE is not in use.  How can I ensure that?  Just having one data drive?  I still see DE in the directory structure, but I expect that to always be there.  I just want to be sure that DE is not a factor on my computer as I need to to run OneNote.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 4:45 AM

All replies

• Roger, You're overthinking the size issue. If you build an array that exposes 2048 GB to the OS, and that OS only uses 2000 GB, you're not throwing a way a lot, are you? Conversely, you're not missing a lot if you're a few GB shy, right? But the MBR limit is on a disk, not a partition, so your C: partition will subtract from your total available space.

As for keeping DE out of the equation, it's not really possible, entirely. However, KB946676 is not a factor if your server only has one "disk" exposed to the operating system.

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:30 AM