Unable to do fresh system install - do not have product key RRS feed

• Question

• I want to do a fresh install of XP, but I do not have the correct product key. Here are the specifics.

- I purchased the laptop with Windows Home edition installed.
    - I upgraded to Windows XP Professional a few years ago (I have the XP Pro upgrade disc)
    - I have the product key for XP Pro, but not for XP Home edition
    - When I look into the registry to find the product key, I see the product key for XP Pro, but not for home edition
    - When I attempt to do the system install, I am prompted for the Windows product key. If I enter the XP Pro product key (which is for an upgrade version), I am told that it is not the correct key, so I presume that it wants the product key for the home edition (which came with the laptop). Unfortunately, I have no idea where that is. I encounter the same problem if I use the factory disc. This laptop is several years old.

Is there a way to find the product key for XP home edition, if I upgraded to XP Pro? I've tried downloading several different product key retrieval programs such as Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder, etc, but they all just give me the product key for XP Pro and not XP Home Edition.

I don't care whether I run XP Home Edition or XP Pro. I just want to do a fresh install.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:23 AM

Answers

• Morning Schmedlap,

Thank you for posting with us this morning. The product key for Windows Home Edition should be located under your laptop on the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker. If you still run into problems I suggest for you to contact the laptop's technical support and request them to send you the original recovery media disc which should have accompanied the computer @ the time of purchase.

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:28 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• Morning Schmedlap,

Thank you for posting with us this morning. The product key for Windows Home Edition should be located under your laptop on the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker. If you still run into problems I suggest for you to contact the laptop's technical support and request them to send you the original recovery media disc which should have accompanied the computer @ the time of purchase.

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:28 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Thank you for that embarrassingly simple solution. The product key is, indeed, on the bottom of my laptop. This reminds me of when my family bought its first computer in 1994 and we spent 2 hours trying to figure out why the monitor didn't work, only to discover that the cable wasn't firmly plugged in.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:15 PM