Extracting files from the WHS backup RRS feed

• Question

• A few days ago, I needed a couple of files from my previous PC - this has happened a few times before.
    As usual I connected to my WHS and initated the restore. It stalled at 79%, but as everyone knows this is quite normal.
    I rebooted both the server and the client - it still stalled. Then i took a look at the logfiles - they showed a database corruption.
    I ran the database repair utility, with no luck.

In the beginning I wasn't too worried, because I'd taken a backup of the WHS backup files just a month ago.
    I restored this backup - but no luck... I've still got a database corruption.

What to do now?
    Is there some kind of tool that will let me extract the portions of the backup that aren't corrupted? Official or non-official.

I probably only need a few percent of the files, but still they are quite precious to me.

Best regards,

Kasper Hansen
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:10 PM

All replies

• I'm not aware of any such tool, I'm afraid. Before you give up, though, can you try restoring the entire partition to another hard drive? You can connect the drive to any PC with the connector installed, then run

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

to run a hosted version of the app on the restore CD.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:16 PM
  • I'll try that right away...
    I just can't believe that the WHS team hasn't thought of this...?

I had no warning what so ever that my backup's were corrupted, and even though this corruption may just be a couple of bad bytes, everything might be lost...

Best regards,

Kasper Hansen
    Monday, October 27, 2008 3:11 PM
  • The Windows Home Server backup tool isn't really useful as an archival tool, in my opinion, exactly because of the relative fragility of the backup database in the face of any corruption. The problem is that there is no duplication of data in the database (or almost none) so there is no way to rebuild critical structures if something corrupts them.

That said, I've been using Windows Home Server for nearly 2 years now (since the start of the public beta) and I've never had an instance of backup database corruption, except those that I know for certain were caused by actions I took which I expected to result it problems.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 27, 2008 4:35 PM