none
Accelerator V2 Library - Cannot Create DirectX Device Error When App is Run Through Job Scheduler RRS feed

• Question

• On my head node with 3 graphics cards installed along with DirectX11 I get an error from my application that a DirectX device cannot be created. 

Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.ParallelArrays.AcceleratorException: Failure to create a DirectX 9 device.
       at Microsoft.ParallelArrays.ParallelArrays.ThrowNativeAcceleratorException()
       at Microsoft.ParallelArrays.DX9Target..ctor()

However when I start the app creating a console window it works just fine.  I followed the instructions I found here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg247477%28WS.10%29.aspx

And the commands reported that everything worked when I ran them.  Rebooted everything and still the same problem.

Is there something else I can do here?  Some troubleshooting steps or something?  Is there a way that I can have my executables create their console window when launched?  This would make debugging easier at first if I can see what the apps are doing in real time through console.Writeline.

Edit:  Is this how setting the environment variable for a job should look?

job.SetEnvironmentVariable("HPC_CREATECONSOLE", "true");

Bob

• Edited by MadScientistBob Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:07 PM Added more info to question
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:05 PM

All replies

• This is what finally got it working:

job.SetEnvironmentVariable("HPC_ATTACHTOSESSION", "TRUE");

Bob

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Oops, my previous answer only works if I have a remote desktop connection to the server.  How do I create a session or console on a server if one does not already exist?

Bob

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Bob, can you please explain the answer? Is this "job.SetEnvironmentVariable("HPC_ATTACHTOSESSION", "TRUE");" what needs to be added to the code? What is the job object?
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Yes, to have the session created automatically please use HPC_CREATECONSOLE. It requires some additional setup steps you've mentioned earlier: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg247477(WS.10).aspx

Does HPC_CREATECONSOLE work for you?

Regards,
    Lukasz

Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:50 AM