Vista HP SP2 Application Error RRS feed

• General discussion

• Live One Care updated a few days ago with a security scanner, since then my computer doesn't work.  Vista doesn't start up properly.  One Care doesn't start and I can't open the network connector.  I get a message during shutdown-the heading is VWSet.exe-Application Error- The message says "The instruction at 0x100031f0 referenced memory at 0x026ae800.  The memory could not be read".  I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, it detected nothing.  I tried to Run services.msc to start One Care, my computer freezes up, so in safe mode, I uninstalled the security scanner, restarted, ran a few system restores back to a month ago, and nothing.  Can anyone help?  Thanx
    Monday, May 3, 2010 5:25 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to Windows Live OneCare as an installed program, there has been no update for ages other than signature updates.

If you are referring to the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner, go here: 

http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/board.aspx?BoardID=225

However, your problem may be deeper than that and totally unrelated to the Safety Scanner.

The program that your error relates to seems to be something that does not belong on your HP PC. I can only find one reference to it in a quick search:

\SONY\VAIO Wallpaper Setting Tool\VAIO Wallpaper Setting Tool VAIO Wallpaper Setting Tool (Verified) Sony Corporation c:\program files\sony\vaio wallpaper setting tool\vwset.exe

I think that it may be wise to either:

a: Contact HP for support
    b. Use the HP process to restore the PC to factory condition and then go to Windows Update to install all offered security updates before reinstalling your programs and restoring data. Note also that the Safety Scanner is not an antivirus program that runs all the time protecting your PC. You need something else.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 11:20 AM