Print sharing with 64 and 32 bit vista RRS feed

• Question

• Why is this not possible with onecare? I have 64 bit vista on one pc and 32 on another and I can print between them without onecare but just using Share Printer.

However, this is a problem because each time my wife wants to use the printer on her laptop she needs to remember what the password is and type it in. I bought onecare thinking it would fix my password issue but it doesn't support print sharing between 64 and 32 bit which I find weird since Vista supports it.

Can anyone help me with getting it setup in a way that my wife doesn't need to use a password to print over the network?

Monday, February 4, 2008 8:16 PM

Answers

• It sounds like the host PC, the one that has the printer attached, needs to have her User ID added to the permissions for printing to the shared printer or password protected sharing turned off.

See this help topic - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e3faee7d-a7cd-40aa-b240-006dca11dc451033.mspx#EBB

In particular, this point:

If you are using a computer connected to a workgroup, click the arrow button  next to Password protected sharing to expand this section, and then check to see if password-protected sharing is turned on or off. If it is turned on, only people with a user account and password for this computer will be able to access your printer. Turn this off if you want anyone on the network to be able to access the printer you are sharing. To change this setting, select the option you prefer, and then click Apply.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:15 AM

All replies

• I did some more reading and I understand they dont support print sharing between 32 and 64 because of the driver. I don't agree thats a good reason to not support it, a company like MS shouldn't have an issue getting around this but I understand.

So, can anyone help me get this printer connected to my 64 bit machine to work with my wife's laptop without a password please?

Monday, February 4, 2008 8:41 PM
  • It sounds like the host PC, the one that has the printer attached, needs to have her User ID added to the permissions for printing to the shared printer or password protected sharing turned off.

See this help topic - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e3faee7d-a7cd-40aa-b240-006dca11dc451033.mspx#EBB

If you are using a computer connected to a workgroup, click the arrow button  next to Password protected sharing to expand this section, and then check to see if password-protected sharing is turned on or off. If it is turned on, only people with a user account and password for this computer will be able to access your printer. Turn this off if you want anyone on the network to be able to access the printer you are sharing. To change this setting, select the option you prefer, and then click Apply.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:15 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

It sounds like the host PC, the one that has the printer attached, needs to have her User ID added to the permissions for printing to the shared printer or password protected sharing turned off.

-steve

It says Printer Sharing on (password required) and there is a box to disable password protection from sharing.

Will this expose my files outside of my network to anyone connecting without a password?

How would onecare do it if I have two 64 bit computers? Would it store the password information somewhere on the remote computer or does it just prompt for the username and password each time a remote computer wanted to access the printer?

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:06 AM
  • No, it will not expose the printer outside of your network as File and Printer sharing will not function through a router unless you've specifically configured the router to allow this.

OneCare will handle the sharing of a printer between two 64 bit OS PCs since they will both understand the same driver model.

The password option would still require the other PC user to enter a password to print unless that User has an account on the PC hosting the printer, as far as I know.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:09 PM