Standard Edition OCS 2007 R2, Will not allow me to configure users RRS feed

• Question

• I've done clean installs twice now on Server 2003 SP2 doing a Standard Edition OCS 2007 R2 deployment. Both times I do not have the option to configure users in the OCS Administration Console and the Communicator tab in ADUC (on the OCS Server) isn't showing either. The rest of the server seems to be operating correctly and their were no errors during the installs. Account used to install was a Domain Admin account. In the OCS Event Log I do get errors from the OCS Response Group Service, OCS User Services, OCS MCU Factory all focused around problems connecting with the local SQL Server RTC Database. In the Windows OCS Event log it shows that OCS connected to the RTC Database without error.

The scheme was updated successfully, checked that with it's version and it shows the OCS updates were applied successfully. Windows is up to the latest patch levels, minus KB974571 due to the problems it's been causing with OCS. (http://blogs.technet.com/dodeitte/archive/2009/10/13/do-not-apply-kb974571-to-lcs-ocs-servers.aspx).

Additionally, all DCs are running Windows Server 2003 SP2, the schema was updated to R2 a couple months ago but the DCs have not been upgraded to R2. The Forest/Domain Functional Levels are both Windows Server 2003. There are no errors in Active Directory and the environment is clean of any AD related errors.

An OCS Installation doesn't get any more straight forward than this so it's the second clean install in a row that this is happening to so I'm thinking possibly something in the environment could be causing this.

Any thoughts on this?
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:25 PM

Answers

• The problem was with running the dsa.msc and the OCS Administration Tools in the 64-bit mode. I had to run ADCU with "dsa.msc /?" and well as the OCS Administration Tools so that it would load in 32-bit mode.
    Michael All | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | CCNA
    • Marked as answer by allm Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:54 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:53 PM

All replies

• Have you have installed the OCS R2 Admin tools? (located in amd64\setup\admintools.msi) or on the deployse screen to the right.
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:08 PM
  • I have... when I right click on the "Users" directory underneath Standard Edition Servers, Configure, Delete and Move "Users" is grayed out. Everything is running and configured without any issues on the OCS side. Additionally, when I open ADUC, the "communicator" tab is not being presented (this is being attempted on the OCS server with the Admin Tools are installed).

I've checked the Schema three times and everything seems to check out with that so I'm at a loss on this one.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:33 PM
  • The problem was with running the dsa.msc and the OCS Administration Tools in the 64-bit mode. I had to run ADCU with "dsa.msc /?" and well as the OCS Administration Tools so that it would load in 32-bit mode.
    Michael All | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | CCNA
    • Marked as answer by allm Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:54 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:53 PM