Windows home server install time RRS feed

• Question

• What is the normal install time for windows home server 2011?
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 1:30 AM

Answers

• You were exactly right I had a bad memory module. WHS 2011 is now installed and working. I would not have thought of that because I just bought the memory and it was supposed to have been tested.  Which drive pool software would you recommend for WHS 2011?

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by SuperVulcan70 Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:06 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:06 AM

All replies

• 20 to 30 minutes or so - why?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:52 AM
  • I am trying to install WHS 2011 on a home built system.

1     Intel Core 2 Duo  @ 2.53 GHZ

2     4 Gig DDR2 Memory

3      250 GB Hard Disk

4      Internal optical drive

5      Connected to my network router

When booting from an OEM DVD it takes about 15 minutes to ask if I want to install or repair. I select install ant it takes another 15 or 20 minutes to display my one and only hard disk. I select it and check the box to format the drive an from there it takes about 12 hours to get to setting up first time use. After that the screen goes black with a moveable cursor and hangs at that point. I have left it at that point for at least 10 hours and it never goes any farther. I am new to WHS 2011 but I do have an HP Mediasmart EX475.

I need HELP,

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:13 AM
  • Additional info I should have started with. I am trying to install WHS 2011.

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:14 AM
  • It sounds like you have a hardware or driver issue of some sort. Try standard hardware debugging: check memory, try different memory, memtest, check cables, etc. 

In general I would expect it to take somewhere around an hour to install to the point of setting up for first time use. (Sometimes it will take less, but an hour is a pretty safe bet.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:21 AM
  • I would also try installing a different OS such as W7 to see if you get similar results.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:15 AM
  • You were exactly right I had a bad memory module. WHS 2011 is now installed and working. I would not have thought of that because I just bought the memory and it was supposed to have been tested.  Which drive pool software would you recommend for WHS 2011?

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by SuperVulcan70 Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:06 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:06 AM