Remote Access fails after PP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Power Pack 2 and find that Remote Access won't configure.  It worked perfectly prior to the install and the new scheme seems to give me much less trouble-shooting control over the situation.  Am I missing something?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:28 AM

Answers

• Kariya21 has microsoft done anything about this Remote access problem?
    Maq4Music

Nothing has changed (mine still says Not Available on the Remote Access tab, yet it still works).  I don't really care what the Console says as long as it works from outside my home.  Frankly, if yours works from outside your house (which you said it does), just install PP2 and don't worry about it.  Otherwise, if it's really bothering you that much, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:20 AM

All replies

• SteveSixth said:

I just installed Power Pack 2 and find that Remote Access won't configure.  It worked perfectly prior to the install and the new scheme seems to give me much less trouble-shooting control over the situation.  Am I missing something?

The troubleshooting is in the Repair button.  But before going there, what happens when you go to the Remote Access tab, click Details, then Refresh?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:34 AM
  • I had this problem after installing Power Pack 2; but found that I was still able to access my home server from the internet at my local library - outside my network

Maybe it's a bug in the new PP2 software. But I agree that there is much less options for troubleshooting, as the Details and Refresh buttons have disappeared from the Remote Access tab.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:23 AM
  • valleyboy221 said:

I had this problem after installing Power Pack 2; but found that I was still able to access my home server from the internet at my local library - outside my network

Maybe it's a bug in the new PP2 software. But I agree that there is much less options for troubleshooting, as the Details and Refresh buttons have disappeared from the Remote Access tab.

No they haven't.  They are both still there.  Details is in the main window and Refresh is inside Details.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:39 AM
  • I'm having the same issue after my upgrade to power pack 2.  Sorry I have nothing to offer as far as a fix, I will continue to troubleshoot and respond again if i come up with any fixes.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Check the WHS services running on the server.  I noticed that on my box several services didn't start up after the reboot following the PP2 install.

The WHS Transport Service, WHS Port Forwarding, and Windows Live Custom Domains Service all were in a stopped state and I had to start manually even though they were set to Automatic. 

WHS OEM, 14 drives ~8.4 TB
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Apologies the details and repair buttons are still available. I did try these functions and they made no difference, I also tried reconfiguring my domain name and still no difference.
    I also tried manual port forwarding in my router - still no difference.
    All the services listed in a previous post are started on my server.
    As stated in my earlier post, I still am able to remotely access my server from the internet. It may be worth trying to access your home server from outside your network to see if you have access despite what the Remote Access Configuration reports.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:25 PM
  • The "Verifying Connection" process begins as soon as the Remote Access tab opens.  After a few seconds a red X and  the words "Not Avaiable" appear.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:49 PM
  • my situation is now the same as valleyboy221.  i am able to access remotely, but the check on the new test screen fails and tells me that it "cannot verify that my remote web site is available from the internet".   this bugs me, but oh well.  i will just ignore it as long as everything works.

to reiterate, my problem was that i actually could not connect remotely (over the web) right after the power pack 2 upgrade.  my server did do a restart during that upgrade, but my guess is the services did not start as described in an earlier post.  after an additional restart, and a munual check to see if those services started automaticly (and they did), I am able to access my home server from my office now (over the web), but i do get the error.

my bottom line is that i have seen no actual benefit to the power pack 2 upgrade.  has anyone else? 

Friday, March 27, 2009 12:04 AM
  • SteveSixth said:

The "Verifying Connection" process begins as soon as the Remote Access tab opens.  After a few seconds a red X and  the words "Not Avaiable" appear.

Mine also says "Not Available", but it still works.  (It's most likely due to the fact that I manually configured my router before PP2 came out.)  Click Details, then Refresh and see what it says there.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:26 AM
  •  I'm having the same issue after my upgrade to power pack 2.  Mine also says "Not Available", but it still works. The only thing i found was that Windows Live Custom Domains Service all was disable, i turned it on but this did not make any diferents.
    Maq4Music
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I am having the same problem as valleyboy221...since the upgrade to PP2.

"Not Available"appears but I can still  access my home server from the internet outside of my network.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:20 AM
  • I made a 'discovery' this morning; my ISP (as does a number of ISP's) blocks incoming Port 80 but not 443. As a result I am able to remotely access my Home Server using my HTTPS address, but the Remote Access Settings Tool is correct in reporting Remote Access 'not available', as Port 80 is blocked. Is this the same for other users who are reporting a problem?

I did try redirecting Port 80 in my router but that didn't seem to work (although I'm not sure I did it correctly)

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:23 PM
  • I dont think this is my case cuz if i unistall pp2 and go back to pp1 everything goes back to normal. so i dont think that isp is blocking this ports. the funny thing is that no one from the whs support. has even post anything in refrence to this problem.

as right know i just unistall pp2 and turned off auto update in my whs, till somene does somethinga bout this.
    Maq4Music
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I made a 'discovery' this morning; my ISP (as does a number of ISP's) blocks incoming Port 80 but not 443. As a result I am able to remotely access my Home Server using my HTTPS address, but the Remote Access Settings Tool is correct in reporting Remote Access 'not available', as Port 80 is blocked. Is this the same for other users who are reporting a problem?

I did try redirecting Port 80 in my router but that didn't seem to work (although I'm not sure I did it correctly)

It could be.  I have never forwarded port 80 to my server and I get the "Not Available" message.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:13 AM
  • look's like this problem has not been resolve... hmmm i went backto pp1 till this bug gets fix
    Maq4Music
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:16 PM
  • look's like this problem has not been resolve... hmmm i went backto pp1 till this bug gets fix
    Maq4Music

Does your Remote Access website still work with PP2 installed?  If it does, don't worry about it saying "Not Available".  Just install PP2 and forget about it. :)
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:31 AM
  • I have the same situation.   Remote access is working from outside.  However, the remote access web pages do not work from the inside the house network (intRAnet); and they used to under PP1.

Also, the install wiped out my landing page pictures and it appears that they went back to not wanting you to change it.  My wife is 'tired of having to look at that "Other" woman'  every time you access via the remote access web site.

In summary, the release of PP2 was done in a extremely poor manner as compared to PP1.

I'm uninstalling and going back to PP1 as soon as I get back to the house.
    Tim
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:47 AM
  • I have the same situation.   Remote access is working from outside.  However, the remote access web pages do not work from the inside the house network (intRAnet); and they used to under PP1.

Normally it doesn't work from inside (mine doesn't).  Frankly, I'm surprised it did work for you.  But it doesn't matter whether it works from inside your house or not.  You don't need Remote Access from across the room. :)

Also, the install wiped out my landing page pictures

Yes, PP1 did that as well.

and it appears that they went back to not wanting you to change it.

Not true.  I changed mine back 2 minutes after installing PP2.

My wife is 'tired of having to look at that "Other" woman'  every time you access via the remote access web site.

In summary, the release of PP2 was done in a extremely poor manner as compared to PP1.

I don't agree.  My only problem with PP2 is that MS decided to not update the EULA and there were quite a few users a day or two after it came out asking "Why didn't PP2 upgrade the Connector software?  The software says PP1."  (IMO, bad thinking on their part.)

I'm uninstalling and going back to PP1 as soon as I get back to the house.
    Tim
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:18 AM
    Maq4Music
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:21 AM
    Maq4Music

Nothing has changed (mine still says Not Available on the Remote Access tab, yet it still works).  I don't really care what the Console says as long as it works from outside my home.  Frankly, if yours works from outside your house (which you said it does), just install PP2 and don't worry about it.  Otherwise, if it's really bothering you that much, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:20 AM