Safe to remove failed hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two 1TB drives in my WHS.  One drive failed, and I noticed it's status showed as missing.  I turned off my WHS and bought a replacement 1TB.  I added the new drive to the storage pool.  The dieing drive's status now shows as "Not Added", even though I never removed it.  When I tell it to remove the bad drive, it says I don't have enough space to remove it.  I just replaced a 1TB drive with another 1TB drive!  Of course I have enough space.  Not only that, but I turned off folder duplication for every folder and it still refuses to remove it.  I've also rebooted numerous times to see if that would help.

Is it safe to just remove the hard drive?  Will WHS constantly nag me that it's not there?  I'm not afraid of losing any data as I have everything I want saved on an external hard drive too.  (Wish WHS would give me the option for folder duplication of how many drives I want my data duplicated to.)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

There seems to be something quite wrong if the drive is not added but the only option is remove.  I think as you have all your data backed up anyway that it would be okay to select Add in the Disk Management Add-In - thought I don't think it will work.  At the end of the day you have all your data safe so you should be okay just to remove the drive physically - if Windows Home Server is reporting the disk as not added there shouldn't be any data on it from the data pool.  I still am confused though how you have the option of remove from a 'Not Added' Drive (from your first post.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you might have your drives mixed up.  For the old drive to be marked as 'Not Added' you would have had to remove it.  However, when you added the new drive it will be listed as 'Not Added' until to you either Add it to the stroage pool or designate it as a backup drive.  Have you Added your new drive yet?

After you do then you should be able to remove the old drive without a problem.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Al.

I'm positive I do not have my hard drives mixed up.  I only had two hard drives in there and obviously my drive with WHS isn't the bad one or it wouldn't boot.  Plus, in the Warning tab it says "DE Secondary Volume has failed" and says to run a repair on my Samsung hard drive.  In the Storage tab the entry for the Samsung hard drive says "Not Added".  (Note to self: don't buy Samsung hard drives again.  I bought one for my WHS, got home and it was DOA.  Exchanged for this drive, and this drive was dead in 6 months. YMMV)
    Also, it won't let me try to add or repair the Samsung either, which I'm guessing is because it thinks it's not added.  The only option I can click is Remove.

The replacement drive I bought was a Western Digital, and I formatted and added that to the storage pool when I plugged it in.

-Sean
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Interestingly enough, I just added the Disk Management add-in, and it will let me Add my Samsung drive to the storage pool even though WHS itself won't.  I didn't add it though.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Hi Sean,

There seems to be something quite wrong if the drive is not added but the only option is remove.  I think as you have all your data backed up anyway that it would be okay to select Add in the Disk Management Add-In - thought I don't think it will work.  At the end of the day you have all your data safe so you should be okay just to remove the drive physically - if Windows Home Server is reporting the disk as not added there shouldn't be any data on it from the data pool.  I still am confused though how you have the option of remove from a 'Not Added' Drive (from your first post.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:14 PM
  • WHS must have somehow got confused, because it did show up as missing and then later as not added.  Part of it must have thought the drive was there, while part of it didn't.  Hence why it said not added but the only option available was to remove it, which didn't work anyway.

I didn't try to add the disk through the disk management add-in.  I figured I would take out the drive and look it over just in case there was something I wanted.

WHS took forever to "repair" my backup database, even though it was completely gone, finally informing me that all backups were lost.  I figured that would have been easy for it to figure out.  Oh well.  Doing a backup now.

Thanks for trying to help Al.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:05 AM