Where can I change the OneCare restored files folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Pretty simply, another desktop computer died for the thousandth time. After I spent a day formatting, re-installing, and restoring the backup on it I came around to it dead again the next day.  I'm done with it, it probably has some hardware issue so I'm just not going to mess with it.

Here's where my problem comes in.  I have another desktop with OneCare on it that I can restore the files with, but the options it gives me are quite stupid.  OneCare recognizes that it's a backup from another machine, yet when I want to restore the files the options are to:

Restore to my profile.  This is unwanted because I don't want all the other files gumming up my profile, especially since the aren't going to stay on this computer.  It's this, or:

Restore to the "OneCare restored files folder".  This sounds more like what I want, but the problem is that OneCare has designated this folder to be on my windows install drive. Empty this drive is 1/3 of the size of the backup.  I see no where to choose a place to restore, nor have I found where I can change the default "OneCare restored files folder".

Am I just missing something or slow?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I also saw the OneCare restore tool at the top of the forum for when my subscription runs out.  Would this do what I'm looking for? I can't install it yet as I still have OneCare installed, but I guess I should get around to replacing it as my subscription is up at the end of the month.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you elect to do a custom restore you should have the option to designate the restore location. If you are not able to locate this option you can contact support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

I've not used the restore tool so I don't know what options are available but I would guess that you would be able to choose the restore location.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Yes, I would think that too.  That's why I was hoping someone here could point me to it.  I've looked in the "Backup" tab in the "Change settings" window, but it just gives me options on backing up to the drive and no options pertaining to restoring.  The choices for where to restore the backup look like this: http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/728/onecare.jpg

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Support would be the way to go. I'm not at a computer with One Care installed so I cant check to see if there is a way around your restore options.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:48 PM
  • The OneCare Restore process, both in OneCare and in the OneCare Restore Tool is rather limited in options for restoring. You cannot designate a restore location unless the location of the original files does not exist.

As Jim noted, you can contact Support for assistance.

If you do not wish to contact support, you can manually restore files by extracting them from the .zip files using WinZip or a 3rd part utility. Large files, split by OneCare Backup into multiple .zip files need to be rejoined using this free 3rd party utility:  http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

Yes, the process to do this manually could indeed be painful.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:19 PM