More Connector Troubles RRS feed

• Question

• When starting the Windows Home Server Console on a client PC and entering the correct password, the connector takes a couple of minutes to do nothing and then says "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. This working directory is invalid: <A BUNCH OF INREADABLE CHARS>. Please consult help for more information".

I can access the shares on the WHS system and do a Remote Desktop to it.

Any clues?

Monday, April 13, 2009 4:09 PM

Answers

• I'm thinking that you've either got a failing hard drive (probably the system drive), experienced some operating system corruption for reasons that aren't obvious, or you've got some other failing piece of hardware (probably the motherboard).

You can try a server reinstallation, but I would really want to see you test all of your drives for errors first. One way to do that is to remove the drives from your server one at a time and test them on some other computer. Or you could use a drive testing tool which can be booted from a CD-ROM (Spinrite, for example) to test the drives in place.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I agree with Ken here, that a faulty disk could be a reason for the symptoms you describe.
    The Windows Vista DVD i.e. contains a cmd prompt in its repair options.
    From here you also can run chkdsk /f /r against each single disk in the server, if you have booted from the DVD.

To be prepared for the worst case also check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    please provide some more information.
    Is that server a self built or a OEM machine?
    If self built, does it have a NVidia video card built in and did you install any NVidia drivers for it? (Those are known to cause trouble with Remote Desktop sometimes, as also ATI cards/drivers.)
    Can you run the console from within the Remote Desktop on the server directly?
    Did you already try to reset the console from the client (below the password field click Options/Reset console)?
    Did it ever work from that PC to that server?
    Before it stopped to work, did you install anything, like an Add-In, an upgrade, whatever on the server?
    Are both machines attached to the same network?
    Olaf
    Monday, April 13, 2009 8:38 PM
  • My WHS machine is self built with a legal WHS copy (bought in MS Company Store). The system has always worked without any problems (yes, it has a Nvidia video card). I'm experiencing some issues now and I'm not sure what caused it. I did install PerfectDisk For WHS 10.0 and added some hard drives. That's it.

In any case, I cannot use the Connector software on my client PC's anymore. I can, from my client PCs, access the shares and do a Remote Desktop. I can start the Console on the Remote Desktop directly, but I cannot run the Console from a client PCs (or do a backup).

When I start the Console on a client, after entering the password, I got the green progress bar thing for about 30 seconds and the the error above. I said got, because that has changed: now, after 30 seconds, I just get the login screen again. I did not change anything on my server...
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Hi,
    login to your server.
    Click Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools and select Terminal Services Configuration.
    Right click RDP-Tcp and select Properties.
    Select the Environment tab and check, if there is anything wrong in the field Start the following program when the user logs on.

If this does not fix the behavior, try uninstalling the NVidia video driver on the server.
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Well, Olaf, I would love to do that. However, as of today, I not only cannot use the Connector anymore, I also cannot login to the server, not remotely, not directly on the server. The only thing I did was restart the server. It seems to have died on me completely. I'm wondering how I have to fix this.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:55 PM
  • I'm thinking that you've either got a failing hard drive (probably the system drive), experienced some operating system corruption for reasons that aren't obvious, or you've got some other failing piece of hardware (probably the motherboard).

You can try a server reinstallation, but I would really want to see you test all of your drives for errors first. One way to do that is to remove the drives from your server one at a time and test them on some other computer. Or you could use a drive testing tool which can be booted from a CD-ROM (Spinrite, for example) to test the drives in place.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I agree with Ken here, that a faulty disk could be a reason for the symptoms you describe.
    The Windows Vista DVD i.e. contains a cmd prompt in its repair options.
    From here you also can run chkdsk /f /r against each single disk in the server, if you have booted from the DVD.

To be prepared for the worst case also check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Olaf
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:21 PM