Live Mesh in a restricted account RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows XP SP3 and in my setup I have an account with administrative rights and my regular restricted account. I installed Live Mesh as the administrator (no the standard Administrator but another account with admin rights).

Well, I was hoping that the Live Mesh would then be automatically available to all users but that is not so, I expected Microsoft from having taken care of this rather than approaching the installation as if it was Windows 95.

Under my restricted account, where I ultimately want to use Live Mesh, I don't see any Live Mesh.

a) It does not appear under the Programs/Start Menu
    b) It is not available to the restricted account
    c) It does not start...

Then in an old installation (the old disk) I did install it under a restricted account but there appeared to be no way to uninstall it because only God knows where it installed it (it was running though).

Given that one also doesn't want to be Live Meshing the whole day it would be most welcome if the options dialog allowed the user whether Live Mesh should be started when the session starts and to start it manually.
    http://www.virtual-aviation.info/
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:41 AM

Answers

• Mesh installs two parts - the service and the client. The first install as an administrator installed the service and the client on that ID. To use Live Mesh on the other ID's, install Live Mesh when signed on as those IDs - that will install the client "notifier" on those IDs and allow those users to log in with their own Live mesh LiveID or the one used on the main admin account. The service is running under *all* accounts, which is why Remote Desktop connections would be available even if nobody was logged onto the machine or when any other use was logged in.
    To install Live Mesh under the other accounts, promote them to admin rights for the install, then demote them after the install.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:40 PM

All replies

• Mesh installs two parts - the service and the client. The first install as an administrator installed the service and the client on that ID. To use Live Mesh on the other ID's, install Live Mesh when signed on as those IDs - that will install the client "notifier" on those IDs and allow those users to log in with their own Live mesh LiveID or the one used on the main admin account. The service is running under *all* accounts, which is why Remote Desktop connections would be available even if nobody was logged onto the machine or when any other use was logged in.
    To install Live Mesh under the other accounts, promote them to admin rights for the install, then demote them after the install.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:40 PM
  • But promoting it to admin rights is the same as installing it as an administrator, I don't see what is the difference if the control panel shows Live Mesh installed already,
    http://www.virtual-aviation.info/
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Control Panel under your additional users show it installed? It should only be installed and listed on the accounts under which it was installed.
    The difference is that the client is not installed under all users automatically.

-steve
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:03 PM