Windows Genuine Advantage Kit RRS feed

• Question

• I had a problem with my computer on Monday of this week and to my horror discovered I was running an illegal copy of Windows XP Professional. I immediately purchased WGAK and paid by credit card. The invoice etc.gives the Product key. I went to the site and downloaded the kit. It seems to have downloaded OK, it then starts to install and stops part way through with error message 'Disk write error' 'Low on disk space' 0x800402c9.

I have an 80G HD split C:40/D:40 eith 64% freespace on C and 99% on D.

I am by means a computer buff and am having great difficulty yrting to resolve this problem. Can anyone please help ?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:21 PM

Answers

• There are dozens of posts on this subject here.  Obviously there is a bug in the Product Update Tool.  The question is what 2x4 do we use to get Microsoft's attention!  One of the other posts had a reply that infered that we need a newer version of the product update tool if running it on XP with SP3 installed (which is my case).  However the poster did not say how to get this "newer" tool.  I have tried to find a phone number to call someone about this, but no joy so far.  However posts here indicated even phone support can't provide a solution.  BTW, the email confirming your purchase of the legal update kit has no phone number to call for support.

I've tried all kinds of stuff like making sure the directorys are not write protected, doing a full CHKDSK surface check.

It appears that Microsoft's response is that you should follow their verifiction process, which leads you by the hand to purchasing the product update kit ($150 for XP Pro).  Now keep in mind that this process actually runs a program on your machine to check that the upgrade will work, before sending you to purchase the kit.  The kit won't install because according to microsoft you are trying to put it on an illegal copy, which is why they sold you the kit in the first place.  And the way they inform you of this catch-22 mess is by giving you a disk error message to really throw you off track.

GRRRRR.......

Surprise(

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike,

Please contact the the department from which you ordered your WGA kit for assistance with your installation problems.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I contacted tech support by phone and spent 1hr 22mins on th 0870 number trying to resolve problem which they could not do. I was eventually advused to wait for the CD to arrive at which point I was to again contact tech support who would assist with installation. However, I look forward to this with trepidation as I am no computer buff. I have an 80GB HD split C:40/D:40 with free space oc C: 61% and D: 99% (empty) and they advised me to transfer all data files to D: as the installation will probably wipe C:, and then I will have to re-install all my other program files. I just don't know where to start !!.

Thank for your help anyway.

Regards

Mike Stadius

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Mike,

First I would recommend for you to back up any and all of your data from your C:/drive to the D:/ drive.  Next use a DVD or CD re-write disc and back up all of the data you now have stored on your D:/ drive.  Another alternative is using an external USB hard drive. This is a great tool as you can capture all of your valuabe information and for archival purposed on the external drive. Also if you can afford to purchase a new internal hard drive I would highly recommend you upgrade maybe even purchase two drives. The other day I saw Seagate 500 Gig Hard drives for sale on Frys site for $89.00. 

Next here is a site you may use to reformate your hard drive. Also if your system is a commercial built system please contact their technical support section as they will walk you thru a reinstallation.  Here is one site to use for your reformatting:  http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

Good Luck,

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Hi all,

I have the same problme with Error: 0x800402c9 when trying to legalise my Windows XP with Product Key Update Tool.

I have spent hours trying to find a solution and also spoke with a computer expert, all to no avail.

The most frustrating thing is that people at Microsoft, who are supossed to be experts at this, have no idea how to fix it and, to make it worse, recommend people purchase external hard drives, transferring files from one partition/drive and what not.

Could some of forum moderators/admins or any other relevant people from Microsoft actually look into this problem, find out how to fix it and let us the users know the solution.

After all, many of us, including myself, have paid a substantial amount to legalise our copies of Windows and we are in the worst situation then we were in before - still with a non-genuine copy of Windows and a couple of hundreds of dollars lighter, not to mention the lack of hope that Microsoft staff will be able to help us resolve any of the problems.

I sincerely hope that someone will find out and advise us of the solution to this issue (and that it won't be "Buy a new computer" type of solution).

Thank you in advance!

Dario
    Friday, April 25, 2008 8:56 AM
  • I have the same issue here and have been looking here for an answer.  Unfortunately all I see are the same tired irrelevant posts from the Microsoft technicians.

First: yes I know my WinXP copy is not legitimate, that is why I PURCHASED THE GENUINE ADVANTAGE KIT ALREADY.

Second: I'm trying to USE THE KIT to make my copy legitimate, using the KEY I PURCHASED FROM MICROSOFT to make my copy legitimate.

Third: the tool MICROSOFT supplies to change the key DOES NOT WORK.  It never gets to the point of entering the new valid key that I just purchased, it dies with an error message about there not being enough disk space.  I HAVE OVER 300 GIGABYTES of free disk space, so how much does this thing need?

Forth: stop asking for the diagnostic tool report, all it does is confirm what we've already said, we know our copies are invalid and we're trying to make them valid, so repeating the BS only frustrates us and makes us regret trying to be honest.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 9:11 PM
  • There are dozens of posts on this subject here.  Obviously there is a bug in the Product Update Tool.  The question is what 2x4 do we use to get Microsoft's attention!  One of the other posts had a reply that infered that we need a newer version of the product update tool if running it on XP with SP3 installed (which is my case).  However the poster did not say how to get this "newer" tool.  I have tried to find a phone number to call someone about this, but no joy so far.  However posts here indicated even phone support can't provide a solution.  BTW, the email confirming your purchase of the legal update kit has no phone number to call for support.

I've tried all kinds of stuff like making sure the directorys are not write protected, doing a full CHKDSK surface check.

It appears that Microsoft's response is that you should follow their verifiction process, which leads you by the hand to purchasing the product update kit ($150 for XP Pro).  Now keep in mind that this process actually runs a program on your machine to check that the upgrade will work, before sending you to purchase the kit.  The kit won't install because according to microsoft you are trying to put it on an illegal copy, which is why they sold you the kit in the first place.  And the way they inform you of this catch-22 mess is by giving you a disk error message to really throw you off track.

GRRRRR.......

Surprise(

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:49 PM