stuck on Looking for local changes AND cancel Sync does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my app is stuck on "Looking for local changes" for a folder with many larges files. Now I figured I could just click on cancel sync and add this other folder I wanted to put, but the "cancel Sync" does not work. Ever. So I went on the online desktop from my laptop and removed my cellphone from the list of synced devices for that folder, and when I signed in I had the chance to add my new folder and once that was done, it started syncing with the first folder that I had finally managed to remove!!!!!!

Not being able to pick which folder I actually want to sync is a real drag and the cancel sync button not working is even worse because I can't even remove the folder.

Is there a way to stop this never ending "looking for local changes"? This 10mb thing is really dragging down this amazing software. I could deal with he other issues if this weren't one because I could just wait it out... but right now this series of problems combined is turning this software into nothing else than a useless memory hog.

To sum it up.. how can I remove this folder form my sync list if it doesn't work from the browser without loosing all the rest???

ps. sometimes the "looking for local changes" ends up with files being uploaded after about 1-2 hours but then it goes back to scanning and stays stuck.

Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:26 AM

Answers

• julienrl said:

well this is my last entry. I restarted the whole process by replacing all the files again and this time it randomly erased about 20 of the files and tried to upload them in a messed up order which gave conflicts because mesh was saying that the folders for the file did not exist, Mesh no longer finds my "mobile pictures" folder on my computer (when I can clearly see it), and mesh mobile now crashes every time it tries to scan one of my folders.... I think I will wait for a more complete product.

Hi,

If you haven't already done so, please update your original Connect bug with your new findings.  We would really appreciate having the bug updated with the information you've gathered in your recent testing.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Julienrl,

Thanks for reporting your problems and frustrations. We're currently looking at fixing the 10MB limit as fast as possible. I'll also flag the issue where were not able to Cancel Sync. In the worst case, it should have cancelled sync within 15 seconds after you pressed it (it takes time to write to the local database).

If possible, can you send us the logs from your phone? The process to raise a bug and send logs is posted in an announcement on the main page of this forum.

We'll definately try and make this experience better in the future updates.

Thanks,
    Archis
    A Jedi in the making!
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:32 AM
  • First thing is that I have waited the 15 seconds (and more)again and again. I just tried it again now as I am writing this message. I clicked cancel and waited one minute with no result. Tried it again a few more times, no result.

I would love to be able to help by giving you the log, only thing is I have no clue where to get it :p Can I get directions on how to get this log and send it to the Mesh team?

Thank you!

ps. I do understand this is a beta, and I must say that it shows tremendous potential, keep up the good work, I am really excited about this product! :)
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 8:52 AM
  • hum, the problematic folder still can't be removed and now prevents the rest of my folders from syncing.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:28 PM
  • The instructions for collecting the logs and submitting the bug are contained in the announcements section above.
    The announcement you want is this one (can't link to it...) Collecting Live Mesh for Mobile Logs

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:04 PM
  • here is my connect post

found the connect ID, its 410165

• Edited by julienrl Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:36 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:56 PM
  • BIG NEWS!!! (hence my removing the checkmark), I have made great progress.

After re-installing I started playing with small folders (1mb and less) with 10 to 200 files (depending on the folder) to test if the problem I was having was the amount of files.  The whole thing seems to work but with every sync it syncs less and less files.... it did 40 and 71 at first but now it is only syncing 4-6 at a time and creating doubles in my live desktop (but nowhere else).

I will be testing with increasingly large folders and will keep you all up to date!

ps. my thought that my phone going on sleep was stopping the sync was not valid
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:36 AM
  • after syncing about a dozen time I was not done and it seemed to by syncing less and less files, so I checked my ram and it was down to 6 mb's (should still be enough for files that are only a few k's but... apparently not) so I did a soft reset and the first sync seems to be taking for ever (while syncing was going on in under 1 minute and 30 seconds when I was doing consecutive syncs). After 7 minutes of looking for local changes (in about 10mbs of files I have in my folders...... quite long), it synced 2 files. Next few syncs all took under a minute but only synced 2 files... I wish i could see what they were. Is there a reason it takes almost 10 minutes sometimes and 30 seconds other times?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:46 AM
  • not only did mesh mobile start making odd copies of my files, but it also deleted many of them..... I am also getting very inconsistant "looking for changes" times. Also, after 2 hours of tinkering the history of the folder FINALLY appeared and it seems that everything synced early on and then mesh just kept randomly "updating" files I had not touched.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:13 AM
  • well this is my last entry. I restarted the whole process by replacing all the files again and this time it randomly erased about 20 of the files and tried to upload them in a messed up order which gave conflicts because mesh was saying that the folders for the file did not exist, Mesh no longer finds my "mobile pictures" folder on my computer (when I can clearly see it), and mesh mobile now crashes every time it tries to scan one of my folders.... I think I will wait for a more complete product.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:56 AM
  • julienrl said:

well this is my last entry. I restarted the whole process by replacing all the files again and this time it randomly erased about 20 of the files and tried to upload them in a messed up order which gave conflicts because mesh was saying that the folders for the file did not exist, Mesh no longer finds my "mobile pictures" folder on my computer (when I can clearly see it), and mesh mobile now crashes every time it tries to scan one of my folders.... I think I will wait for a more complete product.

Hi,

If you haven't already done so, please update your original Connect bug with your new findings.  We would really appreciate having the bug updated with the information you've gathered in your recent testing.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:35 PM