Nvida drivers for Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• WHS (Vail) is using a generic video driver after the initial install.  Can I use the most current video driver from Nvida for W7 64-bit?

Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:29 PM

All replies

•  
    "Ken 429" wrote in message
    news:063777bc-627a-403f-8871-8371e1865630@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > WHS (Vail) is using a generic video driver after the initial install.  Can
    > I use the most current video driver from Nvida for W7 64-bit?
    >
    When I built my Vail 64 bit machine, I put in an old PCI card and it works
    just fine for me. Since the machine's headless, the only reason I'd need the
    graphics card at all is for a complete new install.
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:02 PM
  • If the generic driver is offering the needed resolution for yout screen, there is no need to install a driver optimized for desktop use instead of server functionality, which might reduce the stability. Also if the server installation is completed, the intended interface is the dashboard. And if you need more, you could also use Remote Desktop from a client to access the server desktop, which is as unsupported as it is the direct login.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:46 PM
  • when i tried to use the nvidia drivers and rebooted server for it to take effect i then lost my password

although i knew it was 100% correct the password would not be accepted

uninstalled nvidia driver and all back to working normal so proceed with caution

Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Was that happening in Vail also? For Windows Home Server V1 it a known issue, described in the FAQ How to handle error message “The Password is incorrect” attempting console access.

Olaf

Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:30 PM
  • For what it's worth, I installed the latest greatest Win7/Vista 64-bit video driver from Nvida and it seems to work just fine.  Device Manager now recognizes the video card AND the "Mystify" screen saver works.  I know I don't need the video driver since I will probably disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse and let the system run for the next 2 years like WHS V1 but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  It sure was a pleasure to have V2 install and come up working without having to install drivers for the "new" hardware like I had to do with V1.
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, September 13, 2010 1:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ken429 Monday, September 13, 2010 8:35 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Was that happening in Vail also? For Windows Home Server V1 it a known issue, described in the FAQ How to handle error message “The Password is incorrect” attempting console access.

Olaf

yes olaf this also happens with vail refresh ;-(
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:29 PM