Sharing media stored in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS for a few days but think I am missing something obvious. One of my objectives was to allow the whole family to share media. Any help references are to MS Media Center or Media Connectors but we only have 4 Win XP machines. All the media I want to share is somewhere in the backup drive but it looks like I have to populate the shared folders manually.
    Is the duplication necessary? Should I treat WHS as a dumb NAS for this purpose ?
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:41 PM

Answers

• I have been running WHS for a few days but think I am missing something obvious. One of my objectives was to allow the whole family to share media. Any help references are to MS Media Center or Media Connectors but we only have 4 Win XP machines. All the media I want to share is somewhere in the backup drive but it looks like I have to populate the shared folders manually.

That's correct.  The backup database of the clients is a completely separate feature from the network shares.  In order to share media, it must be in the shares.

Is the duplication necessary?

That's up to you.  IMO, it's overkill.  What I do is copy all my media to my server (using Folder Duplication where appropriate), then stream from the server.

Should I treat WHS as a dumb NAS for this purpose ?

• Proposed as answer by vvishal1 Monday, April 13, 2009 6:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lara JonesModerator Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:58 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:40 AM