USB-Ethernet CD/DVD ROM RRS feed

• Question

• I've just finished building a new 6TB WHS.  Everything works as it should.  To rip media though, I have to go down to the rack in my basement.  I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the concept of using a USB-Ethernet bridge with an external drive that I could locate upstairs.

There are a few companies that offer such products compatible with Windows Server 2003.  I would think that this might be of interest to many people, but haven't found much about it on the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server isn't designed to be used as a desktop operating system by e.g. using it to run software to rip media from CD/DVD/Blu-Ray, so what you're asking about is unsupported (though it may well work). Given that, and given that after you've ripped something you will undoubtedly need to tag, rate, etc. whatever you've just ripped, why not do the ripping and manipulation on a regular desktop machine which presumably has more processing power, memory, etc. than your server, and move the files to your server when you're done?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  The WHS add-ins like RipNAS (Music from Illustrate) and My Movies (Movies from Binnerup) are so good at auto-ripping and auto-tagging that it's a no-brainer to use WHS directly.  I had always done ripping at tagging at the PC level and copied to my Netgear ReadyNAS 1100.  The WHS makes the process even easier (put the disc in, let it rip, take it out) and alot faster.

I built my WHS with an Intel Core Duo/MSI IM GM45 mainboard so that it would be very fast for such things - and it is.

If the server could live in my living space, it would be perfect.  I'm trying to solve the "remoting" problem with this idea.

Monday, June 29, 2009 6:06 PM
  • The best I can do for you is to say "Try it and see." I don't think you'll get great performance out of a USB to Ethernet bridge, and you may find that you have other issues as well. 

To be honest, you have two opposing requirements, and probably one is going to have to give. You seem to have a requirement that the server not live in your "living space". The other is that it serve double (unsupported) duty as a platform for ripping media, and that it be convenient to be able to use it this way.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Try posting on the Tranquil PC forum.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Will do.  Thank you.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:13 PM