WHS 2011 has problems with client IP address changes? RRS feed

• Question

• I have provided a static IP address for the WHS 2011 server, as recommended in the "unleashed" book, but the client machines are still assigned IP addresses by the router's DHCP service. However, I notice that if I first web-connect to the server, and then try to remote-connect(login) to a client machine, sometimes the client is not recognized.  This seems to be associated with a change that the router has made to the IP address of the client machine.  This happens frequently on the network, since the internet service and the power  frequently are disrupted, and the client machines get different IP addresses when they are powered up after a power failure.  When I figure out the correct IP address, and remote-connect using that address instead of the machine name, the connection works fine.  So I can only conclude that somehow the server has not been able to accommodate these IP address changes provided by the router.  I am surprised at this situation, because I have not read anything in the "unleashed" book or any forums warning about this situation.  I think if I make all the client IP addresses static, this will solve the problem, but should I have expected to have to do this?   Thanks for any info you might have.

actor39
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:42 AM

All replies

• Have you tried enabling netbios over TCPIP?.

Or as I have done. Giving each workstation a reserved address in the router DHCP server. This is probably the best as each machine will always get the same address after your frequent power outages.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:01 AM
  • I thought I would check this thread again, and I am a bit surprised no one else has reported this problem, because it persists with me.  I was a bit amused when I ran across this quote on p. 9 of the "Unleashed" book: "A changing IP address is no big deal for client computers, but it can be a problem for the Windows Home Server machine." Obviously it is a big deal for me.   I have noticed that some sort of connection update service seems to be running at times, and I wonder if this service is trying to accommodate the IP address change, and for some reason it is not able to be effective.  My current solution is to uninstall the client connector software and reinstall it, and this solves the problem.  But I think I will establish static IPs, as frogz1 suggests.  I can't think of any downside to this.  But again, I am surprised that others have not reported this problem.  Makes me think I am doing something wrong and if I knew what it was, I could fix it.
    actor39
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Sounds like an internal DNS issue.. I would check that your computer names are being resolved correctly internal before looking into anything else.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Sounds reasonable.  How do I do this?  What do I look for?  The router knows the names perfectly and periodically changes their IP addresses.  Could there be something in the router that needs configuring?  Thanks!
    actor39
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:31 PM