Which is correct connector software? RRS feed

• Question

• In the thread at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f3083305-8b4b-4edf-8f75-37b12924eac5 and some other places, one solution to the "This computer cannot connect to your home server" problem is "did you run the WHS Updates and if so you should reinstall the Connector Software from the \\Server\Software\Home Server  Connector Software" folder  the newest version will be there." However, I've never found out *which* item in that folder is the right one to click on. Currently, besides sub folders oem, dotnetfx20, and windowsinstaller31, I have the following (date order):

install.exe 16 Oct 2007
    autorun.inf 10 Jul 2008
    whs_connectorhelp.chm 20 Feb 2009
    whsconnectorinstall.exe 3 Aug 2009
    whsconnector.msi 7 Oct 2009
    setup.exe 7 Oct 2009
    whsversionupgrade.dll 7 Oct 2009
    whsversionupgrade_x64.dll
    whsconnector_x64.msi

The computer is a Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit. From wording, I would think that it's the whsconnectorinstall.exe but that's not the most currently dated item. But setup.exe doesn't say what it's going to setup so I hesitate to use that. In either case, I've successfully connected since October, so is the "newest version" not getting onto the server? I want to try reinstalling the Connector Software before doing anything more complicated.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:30 PM

All replies

•  On 7/22/2010 4:30 PM, KathrynBassett wrote:

In the thread at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f3083305-8b4b-4edf-8f75-37b12924eac5 and some other places, one solution to the "This computer cannot connect to your home server" problem is "did you run the WHS Updates and if so you should reinstall the Connector Software from the \\Server\Software\Home Server  Connector Software" folder  the newest version will be there." However, I've never found out which item in that folder is the right one to click on. Currently, besides sub folders oem, dotnetfx20, and windowsinstaller31, I have the following (date order):

install.exe 16 Oct 2007
    autorun.inf 10 Jul 2008
    whs_connectorhelp.chm 20 Feb 2009
    whsconnectorinstall.exe 3 Aug 2009
    whsconnector.msi 7 Oct 2009
    setup.exe 7 Oct 2009
    whsversionupgrade.dll 7 Oct 2009
    whsversionupgrade_x64.dll
    whsconnector_x64.msi

The computer is a Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit. From wording, I would think that it's the whsconnectorinstall.exe but that's not the most currently dated item. But setup.exe doesn't say what it's going to setup so I hesitate to use that. In either case, I've successfully connected since October, so is the "newest version" not getting onto the server? I want to try reinstalling the Connector Software before doing anything more complicated.

<file:///C:/Users/UPSTAI%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png>

Hi Kathryn,

Basically what the posters are saying is when you update (upgrade) to Power Pack 1, Power Pack 2, or Power Pack 3 (and any future Power Packs), you'll have to upgrade the connector software.  You'll know that you need to (typically) because it will be grey in your taskbar, and will tell you that it needs to be updated.

As for which one to use, you'll just need to run the setup.exe file.  Essentially what happens in the updates (Power Packs) are they update the installers, which the setup calls.  Setup will look at whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit and choose the appropriate installer based on that.

If your console (connector) is green or any color other than grey, and you're able to connect through it, you don't need to worry about this.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:45 PM