none
MCITP: What is better to study? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks:

What is better to study:

a) MCITP Enterprise Administrator

or

b) MCITP Server Administrator

Thanks a lot for your responses in advance!!!

My best wishes,

Ronald

Monday, June 21, 2010 8:02 AM

Answers

• It depends. (Isn't that the most unhelpful non-answer?)

If you have no MCPs, then you are starting from a very different place than someone with an MCSE.

I'll assume you are fresh, no previous experience.

If you look at the Exams required for MCITP:SA and MCITP::EA, there is some overlap.

SA requies 640 642 and 646. EA requires 640, 642, 643, 647 and a client, either 680 or 620. (Ignore the MS page, it is horribly written.)

So by getting EA, you will get SA as well. If you do the SA requirements first, then you have a nice milestone on your way to getting EA.

I would say you should do the exams in this order:

640 - Active Directory, a good exam to start with, nice and easy to study.

642 - Network Infrastructure. Easier than "The Beast" (291, the 2003 exam), but a little more challenging. Subnets are key.

646 - Pro exam. Study.

MCITP:SA Achieved!!!

643 - Applications. Middle-to-hard, depending on your experience. Study up, and no worries.

680 - Windows 7. Client exam. Get a copy installed, play with it, break it, reinstall it, break it some more. The best way to learn.

647 - Pro exam. Study.

MCITP:EA Achieved!!!

Find another certification to aim for, and study that. Keep repeating.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:49 AM
  • Hi Ronald,

I think it depends on you that what you need because if you are working in some Huge envoirnment so you will need to get a better exposure so you will need Enterprise Admin and if you are working in a small envoirnment so you can get Server Admin Credintials as well and also with Enterprise you will get Virtualization experties and some Windows 7 experties as well.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007 M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008 M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
    Monday, June 21, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Keep in mind the difference between the Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator designation is only two exams.  EA includes Server 2008 Applications (70-643) and a client side exam (Vista or Windows 7).  You'll get "more mileage" out of the Enterprise Administrator designation.

As to studying, if you have good study habits, the Microsoft (or Sybex) self study books, along with possibly videos from CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal or TestOut will give you better training at a lower cost (just my humble opinion though).

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:25 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Ronald,

I think it depends on you that what you need because if you are working in some Huge envoirnment so you will need to get a better exposure so you will need Enterprise Admin and if you are working in a small envoirnment so you can get Server Admin Credintials as well and also with Enterprise you will get Virtualization experties and some Windows 7 experties as well.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007 M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008 M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
    Monday, June 21, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Thank you for the input, Shafaquat!!! I appreciate that!

I also wonder if it's really worth taking a course in a college and pay 4500$ or just buy Microsoft's self-study kits, study alone and do the exams... What is your personal experience with that?

Thanks again!

My best wishes,

Ronald

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Keep in mind the difference between the Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator designation is only two exams.  EA includes Server 2008 Applications (70-643) and a client side exam (Vista or Windows 7).  You'll get "more mileage" out of the Enterprise Administrator designation.

As to studying, if you have good study habits, the Microsoft (or Sybex) self study books, along with possibly videos from CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal or TestOut will give you better training at a lower cost (just my humble opinion though).

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ronald ,

As Charles said that if you have better study habit so you can get alot with self paced training kits and from CBT .

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

Monday, June 21, 2010 1:10 PM
  • It depends. (Isn't that the most unhelpful non-answer?)

If you have no MCPs, then you are starting from a very different place than someone with an MCSE.

I'll assume you are fresh, no previous experience.

If you look at the Exams required for MCITP:SA and MCITP::EA, there is some overlap.

SA requies 640 642 and 646. EA requires 640, 642, 643, 647 and a client, either 680 or 620. (Ignore the MS page, it is horribly written.)

So by getting EA, you will get SA as well. If you do the SA requirements first, then you have a nice milestone on your way to getting EA.

I would say you should do the exams in this order:

640 - Active Directory, a good exam to start with, nice and easy to study.

642 - Network Infrastructure. Easier than "The Beast" (291, the 2003 exam), but a little more challenging. Subnets are key.

646 - Pro exam. Study.

MCITP:SA Achieved!!!

643 - Applications. Middle-to-hard, depending on your experience. Study up, and no worries.

680 - Windows 7. Client exam. Get a copy installed, play with it, break it, reinstall it, break it some more. The best way to learn.

647 - Pro exam. Study.

MCITP:EA Achieved!!!

Find another certification to aim for, and study that. Keep repeating.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:49 AM
  • I also wonder if it's really worth taking a course in a college and pay 4500$ or just buy Microsoft's self-study kits, study alone and do the exams... What is your personal experience with that?

It will depend on what the course is teaching. If they are teaching the skills to do the job, and use the certification as proof of the skills, then you might well decide that $4500 is a good investment in your future.

If all they are teaching you is how to pass the exams, then there is not a whole lot to be gained from it. You will be just another braindump academy graduate. Whilst some are able to "fake it until they make it", quite often the lack of skill will show through, at best when questioned, at worst when a critical business system gets trashed.

Check exactly what and how they teach before you hand over your money. If they won't show you the course materials, walk away and find somewhere that will.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Thank you Pedro for your great and comprehensive input! It's a food for thought...

My best wishes,

Ronald

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Pedro nice post - this is the study path I choose to follow as its more steady for newbies and also you achieve more in the end (becoming both MCITP:SA and MCITP:EA certified on paper)

Question: In addition to becoming MCITP certified is it worthwhile investing in time and money to become MCDST (70-271 & 70-272) certified? or is this superseded by the MCITP certification.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Thank You friends..

Ganesan.K

Click Here to View My website

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:43 AM