I cannot understand the difference between "Remote CC" and "entreprise voice". RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !!

I cannot understand the difference between "Remote CC" and "entreprise voice".

one of them needs some telephony configuration into OCS server (number formating...)?

if i would like to make a call from Communicator to an ip-phone connected to an Ipbx (mitel 3300 and Gataway lbg), do i need rcc or entreprise voice? (in a simple test lab).

I assume that RCC is enought for making that call.

thanks!

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I know this forking features. But afaik theses features are on the roadmap tof he PBX vendors.

What i mentioned is, that on OCS side the admin has to decide whether a user is enterprise voice enabled or uses RCC. That is also written in the OCS official documentation.

regards
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

you want enterprise voice.

What RCC means is that you use your MOC to initiate a call from your desktop phone. That way you can use the MOC features like presence or contacts to make the call and do not need to type it into your sip phone.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:32 PM
  • hi,

the sad thing about that is, that it's not possible that you use booth of them. So you have to decide whether you use rcc or enterprise voice.

so you can't realise a szenario like:
    user in homeoffice uses moc as a softphone (enterprise voice)
    user in office uses moc as control for deskphone (rcc)
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:14 PM
  • Here is some info from the documentation:

What is the difference between Remote Call Control and Unified Communications?

Office Communicator is typically configured for either Remote Call Control (RCC) or Unified Communications (UC). With RCC, Communicator is integrated with your company’s PBX phone system and, while you use Communicator to place and receive calls, forward calls, and control calls, the audio still flows through your traditional desktop phone.

With UC, also known as Enterprise Voice, the traditional PBX phone is replaced with Office Communicator and an IP phone or USB audio device connected to your computer. UC audio flows through your computer or through a USB device attached to your computer. UC offers advanced telephony features, including:

Place calls from inside or outside the firewall.  Users can participate in IP voice sessions that traverse network address translators (NATs) and firewalls. Users working from home or remotely can call the enterprise from anywhere an Internet connection is available, without incurring long-distance charges or resorting to a virtual private network (VPN).

Call-forwarding rules.  Communicator 2007 offers robust call forwarding settings that can be easily configured. Users can set calls to be forwarded to another user, number, or device; simultaneously ring an additional number; or redirect unanswered calls to another number, contact, or Voice Mail.

Add subject and importance to a call.   Users can add a conversation subject and an importance flag to an outbound Communicator call, enabling the recipient to quickly determine the reason for the call, as well as its urgency.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

According to my understanding on some PBX's using both RCC and UC is supported and works.

Take a Nortel or Cisco for example - in combination with OCS would support both RCC and UC - they call it forking an incoming call - so both OC and the fixed phone rings for an inbound call.

For outbound calls - the user can choose the calling device. Either OC or phone.

So within the PBX there are 2 endpoints setup and registered (one for OC being the endpoint and the fixed phone being an endpoint).  

Regards

Anesh

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

I know this forking features. But afaik theses features are on the roadmap tof he PBX vendors.

What i mentioned is, that on OCS side the admin has to decide whether a user is enterprise voice enabled or uses RCC. That is also written in the OCS official documentation.

regards
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:05 PM