none
Trapped in Quote Block after Editing RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• So what's the scenario?

You click the codeblock button and add code, right?

Then you want to add more code, but you can't? Have you already submitted the post (having to go back and edit it)?

test tes<inserting this code>t test test

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:31 PM
    Owner
  • So what's the scenario?

You click the codeblock button and add code, right?

Then you want to add more code, but you can't? Have you already submitted the post (having to go back and edit it)?

test tes<inserting this code>t test test

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

I was able to add code into an existing codeblock. Is this what you mean?

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:32 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed,

Here is a trap. I quoted the OP's initial post. I deleted the trail, I deleted the heading, I kept only 2 lines int the middle. Here is the html for the trap:

<blockquote><p></p><p>The goal of the script is to put the orders and sales at one place and give an order price to the purchases by following the FIFO method (First in first out).&nbsp; So basically,</p></blockquote>

If I add <p></p> at the end (after </blockquote>), I am in the next line, out of the trap.

Thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/transactsql/thread/03cc9254-2c6a-4f3c-b95d-b32853ef5638

My cursor is trapped in the quote block, I cannot get out of it:

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER 2012 & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Perfect. Much clearer. I've gotten this one too.

UPDATE: I submitted this as a bug request. Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:44 AM
    Owner
  • UPDATE: Bug #83530 has been logged for this issue. No ETA.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:24 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:34 AM
    Owner
  • I mentioned this almost a year ago in a thread about the "new forums editor." I'm sure the actual problem is much older than that.

Of the 13 issues I listed, two have been fixed. (The disappearing list and the extra borders in the code preview)

Though I admit that some of the "bugs" there may be interpreted as "suggestions."

• Edited by sipla Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:01 AM
  • If I add <p></p> at the end (after </blockquote>), I am in the next line, out of the trap.

I always (try to remember to) press Ctrl-End and add an a outside the initial blockquote before I start editing.   Then if it turns out that I absorb that character into the quote by trying to delete something inside the blockquote I then have the cue to do an immediate Ctrl-z and try to do my deletion differently.  An alternative that these forums users have (which Answers forums users do not have) is using the HTML button and appending at least a  <br />  at the end after the blockquote.  As I mentioned in the thread that sipla reminded us of we used to have a Status line when editing that would help avoid this problem or at least make us aware sooner that it had happened, which is what adding an a does.  In fact, I suspect adding an a does more than that because clearly the way that white space just disappears inexplicably when you expect some blank lines to have been made means that you need something visible which would block that annoyance from happening, how ever it happens.

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:32 PM