Sharing files amongst a team RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I am part of a team of volunteers that runs a community program and we would like it to be possible for the team members to be able to access our files remotely from their homes. I I have installed a Windows Home Server and successfully set up my web access so that I can access the files remotely through the wen portal. Where we are coming unstuck is that when we open say a  Microsoft Word file in a shared folder from a remote location, edit it on my laptop, and then try to save it, it does not save directly back to the file in the shared folder on the server. What seems to happen at the moment is that we open a copy only and then have to save it locally before uploading back to the server and replacing the file that we originally opened. Is there a way to do this more tidily? Hope you can help.

James

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:01 AM

All replies

• Best solution would be to get Terminal Server, WHS is not really fit for this type of solution. There's a minute chance you can buy Terminal Server license for WHS, best ask Microsoft.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:18 PM
    There's a minute chance you can buy Terminal Server license for WHS, best ask Microsoft.

No. It's a role which isn't activated in Windows Home Server. Per the EULA, you can't activate roles that Microsoft hasn't activated for you.

A possible workaround would be to install the WebDAV add-in. Search the developers forum for more details.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:32 AM